rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What are some things I should know before moving to California?

What are some things I should know before moving to California?

Quote: (07-10-2014 12:23 AM)Drazen Wrote:  

Quote: (07-09-2014 07:41 PM)DevonHardy Wrote:  

Thanks brah, my goal salary is 4k a month would that be enough for a nice place with no roommate?

"Nice" is relative. You're looking at about 1000 a month in rent (max) and this is what you're looking at. Yes, sub 600 square foot studios in somewhat "developing" neighborhoods".

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/07/wh..._now_1.php

Now that I know more about your situation, I'd try to have access to Santa Monica/Venice (aka Silicon Beach). There are a bunch of Start ups out there. You won't be able to afford it out there, but maybe live in Culver City and live near the metro rail line (should be done in a few months).

You'll have central access to most of LA, you'll have the comforts of the westside (i.e. 20 degrees cooler in the summer versus the Valley) and then you can rent co-work space in Downtown Santa Monica which gives you the feeling of going into an office everyday and being around people.

I'm just generally not a fan of the Valley for various reasons and if you don't have roots, don't really know why anyone would live there. Like I said, its like the burbs of LA. Separated physically from LA by mountain ranges.

I know it sounds weird, but the suburbs are actually what I'm looking for. Somewhere quiet, I was thinking when I get bite by a "party bug" I can just drive to wherever the action is.

That probably sounds weird coming from a 19 year old lol. I'll probably change when I get around it.

Quote: (07-10-2014 01:08 AM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Watch out for the predatory car registration laws.

I've been dinged for about $400 over the years, because once I had a car stolen ( reported to the police) and they still assume you own it and should be paying the registration. So they take the registration fees for the car you don't even own anymore and haven't seen in a year out of your tax return ozzoollzllzlzlz.

There is some complex process to try to get the money refunded but they make it so hard you'd miss days at work.

Then , another time, I sold a car to a guy who seemed a bit shady, he paid in over a hundred $20 bills.

I didn't get ID or retain the info from selling the car, but I do think I mailed in the "I sold it form." ...and about three years later the same thing happened, Franchise tax board
decided since that the buyer had never registered it, I owed the reg fees. It's presumption of guilt.

Make sure you get the ID of the person you're selling to , and make SURE DMV knows ( and get a record of them knowing) that you sold a car.

Also, incredibly, if a car has parking tickets on it unpaid when you buy it, you owe the parking tickets. You can check I think if it has tickets at the DMV.

And NEVER buy a car that hasn't been smogged with the certificate within the last 90 days unless it's pre 1975 or diesel I think. It's a paperweight if you can't pass smog.

I planning on buying this in a few months:

[Image: Ford_Focus_car_insurance.jpg]
[Image: 2012-Ford-Focus-Titanium-5-Door.jpg]

A 2012-15 Ford Focus Hatch. Would it pass a smog test?

Messages In This Thread