rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Where oh where in China

Where oh where in China

Quote: (06-24-2014 01:42 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Quote: (06-24-2014 12:04 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

how much mileage will a doctorate in social sciences and experience as a computer programmer get me (I'm old, programming is out, skills out of date) in some kind of mngmt type job opps?
?

Honestly, China tends to protect their own countries in ways that would make every American jealous. The only way to get hired for something in China as a foreigner, is by being able to do something (provide a value) that cannot be obtained from a native Chinese person. There are some ways to get around this if some rich Chinese person, with quanxi sets it up, but from our perspective it is harder to find those guys.

The other way is by working for a multi-national company based in US, Japan, Singapore, Spain, France, etc. that you can be sent there. Those can be pretty sweet gigs if you can get them. Kinda hard and competitive though from my personal experience. I did get to be a manager of a Shanghai office by doing it that route, but I was expected to stay in the US for the most part. Another way was working in engineering for a foreign based company but that is more difficult nowadays because China pumps out engineers like nobody's business. They are STEM crazy. Chinese that get degrees in the USA in engineering or finance even, get very heavy preference. It is hard for laowai to beat out an chinese in america, even ABCs, with a high GPA from an American university. This is part of the problem with high college costs. The flood of Chinese into US universities, but I digress. The full effect is that Americans have lost alot of the economic advantage we had over them in many of those spaces.

The best spaces right now STEM-wise and IT wise, are in design, architecture-level, finance and law (kinda), business developmental, oil and gas drilling/E&P, and consulting. They still cannot fully match up on that stuff yet. Creativity is an issue for Chinese and I do not see that getting any better honestly, considering how their education system works. Some "intellectual property" you cannot just hack or steal. Only the ones that have been in the US and studied here a long time can possibly close those gaps but they don't have the 25-30+ years of industry experience just yet.

Look into Singapore based companies if you are IT savvy. There are some consultancy outfits out there, but in some ways you kinda need to be elite level in your area of expertise.

But by no means am I an expert on this subject, I would like to hear some others POV on this.

chinese companies love having foreigners because it gives them credibility and validation.
but they only need a certain amount for "face time,"
its also not so much protecting the jobs as it us no foreigner in their right mind would work at a chinese company considering the pay is shit compared to teaching english: 50 hours a week for 4000 a month or 20 for 13000?

Messages In This Thread