rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to Keep Your Muscles Strong as You Age

How to Keep Your Muscles Strong as You Age

I'm now 50 and I've been lifting since I was 13 years old. Jack Lalanne will continue to be my inspiration. That dude was a bad ass well into his 90s. Does anyone know if he was on TRT or HGH?

When you're getting older it's easy to think that you'll keep grinding the workouts like you did when you were in your 20s and 30s. But your body will start telling you otherwise and give you a harsh bitchslap if you choose to ignore the signals. It's frustrating and tough to accept, but you have no choice if you want to stay healthy and injury free. I no longer do heavy weight for low reps but concentrate in the 10-15 rep range.

The D&P post about staying fit over 40 is right on the mark. You have to go easy on joints and tendons as they are less forgiving. Proper form and control of the weight are critical. No bouncing the weights. Adequate sleep is vital. In the past I heard it said that you need less sleep the older you get. I'm finding the opposite to be true. Also, alcohol has a far greater negative impact on sleep as compared to my 20s and 30s. There's less leeway on your diet and an innertube will form around your waist if you aren't careful.

The past year I've been dealing with muscle scar tissue in the forearms and shoulders. Before then it was never an issue and I had no idea that such a thing existed. At first I considered foam rolling to be the latest fitness gimmick, or just some device you'd see being hawked on a late night infomercial. Was I ever wrong! A visit to a physical therapist changed that idea fast. Foam rolling is now a huge part of my fitness routine and it definitely pays off. Hot/cold Massage balls are also part of my routine and they've help alleviate scar tissue pain.

The fit, older dudes at my gym say that they have to deal with aches and pains. But they add that those aches and pains would be far, far worse if they stopped working out.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin

Messages In This Thread