rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anyone got a belly that won't go away?

Anyone got a belly that won't go away?

Quote: (04-10-2014 12:21 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (04-10-2014 03:41 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

I'm cool with Bro-science.. so long that it seems somewhat practical, and does NOT really contradict anything that I believe

Looking at what I wrote above.. Is there anything that contradicts "real" science or your beliefs???

I am NOT really sure how to answer this b/c there are a couple of things that you wrote that are good but they vary a little bit from the emphasis that I would give - maybe just individual variance.

Probably my main variance of emphasis would be to make sure that there is a variety of animal fats in ones diet and weekly routine - not just chicken and fish (you mentioned this for the salad). A little chicken is o.k. in a diet, but there are problems with chicken in that chickens are generally high in omega 6 fat and eating GMO grains.. So I would NOT necessarily emphasize chicken as being a preferable source of protein and/or fat - as compared with making sure to get a variety of protein and fat from a variety of animals.. pork is inexpensive and good for you... and beef and other sources are good too.

Personally, I am too cheap to buy organic meats b/c I do NOT really know what it means b/c labeling laws vary so much, but if guys have means to ensure that they are getting better quality free range meats, then it would be good to pay a little more for that. Or, if I was in a better location, with a more permanent base, it is good to find farmers to source foods directly and to freeze (not practical for everyone of course).

IN your summary, you did NOT really mention the role of dietary fats, and I think that leaving out the role of fat could leave guys to come to varying conclusions about whether or NOT fat is important.. b/c we are frequently so brainwashed by mainstream media about LOW fat supposedly being good.. when the exact opposite is the truth... In essence we are lied to about dietary fat and given subtle messages that seem to imply that fat makes us fat. and they tend to continue to juxtapose ideas about transfat and saturated fat, as if they were the same. On the contrary these two kinds of fats are NOT the same. Saturated fat is good for us, and transfats are man made and our bodies cannot process them... but they mimic and substitute for saturated fats. Lots of confusing info in mainstream about fats and oils and what is in our foods.

So, besides making sure to include animal fats in a dietary regime and our discussion of such, coconut oil is good, avocado is good and butter is good and just making sure to cut out various processed oils - or at least if you end up eating foods with unknown fat sources (such as vegetable, corn, soybean or some of these other random oils) then make sure to balance it out by getting some good fats within that same week. Maybe a little bit of olive oil is o.k. too, but it really gets too much airplay in my thinking...

Quote: (04-10-2014 12:21 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (04-10-2014 04:12 AM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

cutting carbs is a good first step b/c they are addicting and cause guys to eat more.

eat a lot fewer of foods that convert to sugar....

Awesome. I am learning from this..

Question:

What foods were you eating that convert to sugar?

Here's where my thinking varies with Tail Gunner's post above, and I do NOT necessarily want to get into any battle of the good carb versus bad carbs... but essentially all carbs convert to glucose in our system, so we need to modify how much of them we eat.. and how much in any given settings should be balanced out with proteins and fats.

There is some truth to the simple versus complex carb question, but making this distinction still tends to be misleading in my mind to suggest that the complex carbs are somehow and supposedly good for us, when we likely do NOT really need them. Yes, we could probably live longer on complex carbs as compared to simple carbs, but so what, they are NOT essential nutrients.

If we are going to restrict anything in our diet, then restricting carbs down to less than 30% would be good (and maybe even better to restrict to less than 20%).

Carbs from whole natural foods is better than the processed for sure, and all of us tend to agree about cutting out most (if not all) processed foods. I would NOT categorize grains or legumes or whatever of any sort (corn, wheat, oat, soy, beans) as being nutritious, even though we can tolerate them and get some nutrition from them.. especially if we were starving and without better food sources, such as meat and fat.

There may be some micronutrients in some of the carbs including fruits and vegetables (and digestive enzymes as you mentioned), but many times, a lot of the micronutrients are also contained in meats or in eggs in higher proportions than they are in these non-meat food sources. So if we are eating for digestive enzymes, then o.k..... no problem with that.

IN essence, I do NOT buy into that Michael Pollan maxim about eating NOT too much and mostly plants. That maxim has been embedded into our mainstream thinking to get us to think that supposedly grains are good for us or that whole grains are supposedly better than processed grains b/c they have more micronutrients. That is a distraction in my thinking b/c there may be a bit of a conspiracy here too b/c if the whole human population ate meat, then our whole food supply would be different, and maybe would NOT be able to sustain 7 billion people.

I am NOT opposed to a little bit of fruits and vegetables in our diet, but really we likely don't really need too much of these kinds of foods so long as we are getting our main nutrients from meat and fat. So, why emphasize these non-meat and fat sources as supposedly being good for us, if we do NOT really need them? I personally think that we are being deceived on purpose.

In essence, I am NOT really opposed to eating a couple of servings of these kinds of non-meat and non-fat foods daily, and they are probably o.k. for dietary variety and digestion, as you mentioned. But I would NOT suggest anywhere near to what FDA or these mainstream has been suggesting about 7 daily servings or whatever baloney that is merely to get people to subsist off of non-meat sources.... one or two servings may be more than sufficient.

And even suggestions that vegetarianism is supposedly good for people.. I doubt it, even though some people can tolerate vegetarianism more than others..., but frequently, there are a lot of problems with attempting to get nutrients from non meat sources. Now I may be opening up a can of worms...and beginning to ramble too much?

Finally, I just want to mention that if a guy attempts to modify his diet by cutting out carbs and NOT increasing his consumption of good fats, then he is going to run into similar problems of too much glucose in his blood system from eating the lean protein. Protein converts to glucose too, so we need to increase the intake of fat in our diets when we decrease carbs.. and make sure that we are getting adequate protein.

I would suggest:
Carbs: 20-40% of diet (closer to 20% would be better)
Protein: 35% of diet.... (minimum of 25% and no more than 50%)
Fat: 35% of diet (30 to 50% is o.k and more does NOT hurt)

Messages In This Thread