rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

If you could be fluent in only 5 languages (including Eng.) which would you choose?

If you could be fluent in only 5 languages (including Eng.) which would you choose?

Quote: (03-19-2014 08:01 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

French, native language.
Farsi, 2nd native language.
English, fluent.
Portuguese, Fluent (self learned through music, reading sites and chatting/talking to Brasilian friends, got from 0 to fluent in 2 years).
Italian, Fluent (self learned from reading newspapers and magazines as I love Italy, the culture, food and the football and my fav team is from there).
Spanish, semi fluent (I'm convinced 3-6 months spent in a Spanish speaking country would get me to fluent, looking at either Buenos Aires, Medellin, Barcelona or Valencia, Spain in the next 2 years to do so).

Currently learning Mandarin for the enormous business opportunities it would open up.
Then next will be Japanese as I LOVE Japan, the culture, food and of course, the uber sexy J women.
Russian would be next after that as I want to get a taste of the famed Rusky girls.

Ideally, I'd also want to add Arabic and Hindi as that would basically lock down the entire world. The Arabic and sub Indian continent represent massive markets business wise.

My goal is to get to becoming fluent in 10 languages by the time I am 40. At a rate of 1 new language per year, it is more than possible.

VC:

This is ambitious as hell...wow. The only languages I can claim any proficiency in are Portuguese, Arabic, and Latin. And for me, 3 are more than enough. That's it. For me, it's more important to have a deep knowledge of a few, than a superficial knowledge of many. But if you have the talent to tackle all these languages, have at it.

One comment: as a Persian speaker, you should be able to learn Arabic quickly, or at least more quickly than someone else. Much of Persian vocabulary is derived from the Arabic lexicon. Even though the languages are in different families and have totally different structures, the memorization of the vocabulary will be very fast for you.

And if you know the standard Arabic (media Arabic) you can get any of the regional dialects in a few months. No big deal.

QC

Messages In This Thread