rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Idea: buying a one way flight abroad and not looking back

Idea: buying a one way flight abroad and not looking back

The one thing I'll warn you is that if you travel a lot when you are really young and take long term trips, it becomes really difficult to reintegrate into Canadian society. I find myself bored by it, and its monotonous nature. Especially difficult is that I'm in the process of taking a real hit on the amount of vacations I was taking. From 5 months a year to probably 4-6 weeks/year for a few years while I build my business. You'll begin to see many negatives in Canadian society (this probably applies to America as well).

After my time abroad I can say the only real positives in Canada are the a) cheap automobiles b) high incomes.

The problem is your definition of what you think would be a great retirement income will likely increase when your salary increases and it makes an almost never ending desire / requirement for more.

Personally, 3 years ago a million would've been fine to retire in my books. Last year I was thinking well with 2 million I could probably live pretty damn well abroad on 80k per year or so. Now I think 5 million is what I'd need because I mean who doesn't want to ball out in their 40s. It makes it really difficult mentally to step aside and say enough is enough. With 1 million now not a chance I'd retire or leave work.

I think the guys who have it best would be someone like WestCoast. Makes large bank for 1 - 2 decades. Acquires good investing / business identification talents, then can go abroad and either start a business in a new place or freelance like Beyond Borders.

I think many jobs which require you to be in workplace at the moment will in the future allow for you to work from abroad.

Personally, I'd cut your trip at 2 months. I could have probably much easier reintegrated after 2 months abroad then after several trips ranging 3-4 months.

In my honest experience I find it more expensive living abroad than in Canada. When I'm abroad I want to live real well. My spending increases substantially, I start going out 5 times a week. Dating multiple girls. Spending on bottle service, dinners out nightly, buying shit for girls I'm seeing. All of a sudden I end up spending double what I do in Canada but with 10 times the lifestyle. It gets really addicting and is incredibly difficult to give that up and go back to slogging away at a monotonous existence. Imagine going from thinking a mediocre woman is goodlooking to having woman you never dreamed were possible to have. Do that over a period of time. Now the curtain closes and you are told sorry no more funds, you need to move back to Canada. It will be incredibly difficult to do this if you spend too much time opening your eyes.

With that said I'm looking forward to the challenge of running my own business. I think it will challenge me and provide the opportunity shall I still desire it to move abroad "for as long as a desire" in the future.

I really think that the best option for someone as young as yourself is to spend a month or two abroad.

I wouldn't go to Western Europe or another high cost region. That seems counter intuitive to me. Go to a place where you get more for money, then see if that lifestyle is what you want long run.

I think Beyond Borders by the sounds of it has a great career choice but could you imagine being WestCoast and then adding Beyond Borders skill set. I think that would be the best answer. Get a real standard high paying job like WestCoast and learn a relatively well-paying skill set like BeyondBorders. Save, learn to invest...build a foundation and then move abroad long term if your heart desires and continue working using your freelancing skills.

Sorry for the long post.

Messages In This Thread