rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The economy in Moscow and Russia

The economy in Moscow and Russia

Quote: (02-11-2014 06:46 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

Quote: (02-10-2014 04:42 PM)Akula Wrote:  

Quote: (02-10-2014 04:19 PM)Akula Wrote:  

First of all, the oligarchs didn't 'start' any businesses...they effectively just stole existing state assets by buying up shares, sometimes through intimidation (including killing people Khodorkovsky is rumored to have been particularly violent for example), and using political connections and corruption to then gradually consolidate their empires. That's why then went from having nothing to billions in just under a decade. And why there is a decent amount of resentment towards them amongst Russians.

BTW, Gazprom is technically based in St. Petersburg, and they have a lot of offices there (and plans for a new very tall building that is creating controversy, not sure where that stands now).

I've had this discussion many times (re the 'Robber Barons'). For better or worse, the Carnegies and Rockefellers all actually built something (Steel, railroads, Banks, etc.) whereas the oligarchs basically took existing state assets and used them for their own benefit - they 'created' nothing. ...

I forget who said it but there's a saying "behind every fortune is a great crime" With the oligarchs that is particularly true....I have no sympathy for these guys, and think it was good that Putin stepped in and got them under control (to a certain extent).

[Image: potd.gif]

Agree completely but there are some "honest" businessmen in Russia. Sergey Galitsky is one, built a grocery empire with 7,000+ stores. BUT he did it by staying away of Moscow and St. Peter for as long as possible.

Messages In This Thread