rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Stock Market 2014

Stock Market 2014

Quote: (02-01-2014 08:40 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 08:12 PM)Cincinnatus Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 08:07 PM)Steve9 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 06:26 PM)Cincinnatus Wrote:  

Heavily interested in marijuana-related stocks at the moment.

Cannabis Science Inc. (ticker:CBIS) closed yesterday at $0.18 ... 52 week high $0.26, 52 week low $0.03

Medical Marijuana Inc. (ticker:MJNA) closed yesterday at $0.37 ... 52 week high $0.50, 52 week low $0.09

GrowLife Inc. (tickerTongueHOT) closed yesterday at $0.31 ... 52 week high $0.47, 52 week low $0.0042

Honestly I don't know much about trading stock (I've only bought, have never sold),

Cincinnatus, these seem like penny stocks that have been heavily hyped (have you seen the movie "The Wolf of Wall Street"....)

You seem to be an investing noob, so I would tread very carefully - there is a good chance you will get screwed on these stocks.

No doubt - I am an investing newbie, hence the only stocks I own at the moment are established companies with a solid track record - most based in my hometown.

That said, I've decided that my "30 minutes a day" project will be learning as much as possible about investing and trading stocks.

I've signed up for WallStreetDaily.com's newsletter and have read most of their reports. And I've been playing around with marketwatch.com's stock market game just to get a feel for things.

I don't doubt that I could lose an assload of money, but if I don't play with more than I can afford to lose, I don't see the problem with throwing some money at the market - especially considering a decent payoff could happen.

Haven't seen The Wolf of Wall Street yet, it's on my "must-view" list though. Waiting for it to come out on DVD.

Cincinnatus:

I can definitely relate to your above response.

I have a somewhat evolving philosophy regarding investment; however, I have always considered that a guy can take a certain level of high risk with a percentage of his total investment portfolio (taking high risk with possibly up to around 10% of the total), so long as the remainder of the investment portfolio is fairly well diversified.

Surely, guys are going to come to differing specific choices about how to distribute their investment risks and how much risks they feel comfortable to take... maybe also depending on various timeline factors as to when they are going to need the money.

As Steve 9 mentioned, I would be very skeptical of any investment choices that appear to be being hyped up based on what occurred last year without some further info about the company or the fund (unless maybe if I am throwing only less than perhaps 1% of my total investment portfolio at such an unknown risk).

I agree 100%. Honestly if I were in your position I'd sell most of it off and pick up a good book to learn how to invest, not speculate. You need to fundamental base for your portfolio instead of trying to play the market by news. Most likely all the MAJOR money on marajuana stocks has been made, any leftover scraps probably aren't worth chasing unless you do some serious research.

Dollar cost average SPY, SCHX (models SPY), or SCHB (models dow and some).

I don't think there are enough cult people following pot stocks right now for it to become a cult like Tesla.

Quote: (02-01-2014 08:40 PM)JayJuanGee Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 08:26 PM)BIGINJAPAN Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 02:16 PM)DVY Wrote:  

American companies are still amazing because there is (for the most part) cultural integrity. There are a few bad apples here and there, but by and large GAAP accounting, SEC regs and other agencies prevent OUTRIGHT FRAUD.

This isn't the case for developing nations.

HAHAHA

You clearly dont understand GAAP accounting and integrity.

Good luck investing

Big_in_J:

Do you have a link or some kind of further explanation for your assertion regarding DVY's post, rather than merely asserting that a guy is ill informed?

Personally, I do NOT put a lot of credence in the financial shenanigans within the USA financial system, yet I believe it would be a fairly complicated matter to unravel regarding the various kinds of hocus pocus that occurs to mislead and deceive investors which likely varies considerably from company to company and industry to industry.

FYI I'd take America's financial system over China's financial system or any other emerging market. Take your ChInEsE rEvErSe MeRgErS if you wish.

Messages In This Thread