rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Suit game in Asia

Suit game in Asia

I ALWAYS suit up. But I NEVER look like I've just come from my bank job.

This is just my two cents, so take it as you will. I've suited up in three Asian countries for 15 months, so no haters please. I'm just trying to help.

Firstly: No 'suit trousers'. You want your clothes to create an 'upside-down triangle' shape for your body (the widest part being your shoulders).

Sure, you can get a pair of tailored trousers, but they still sag, as the material is too thin. Plus they look UGLY around the shoe. Usually these trousers bunch up at the bottom and create loads of ripples. Or it looks like the trouser is eating the shoe, which is equally as bad. You want a smooth transition between the end of the trouser, and the start of the shoe. ABSOLUTELY NO BUNCHING. They must join as a unit! E.g:

[Image: vcwe.jpg]

If you're a skinny guy, you need to wear skinny jeans to accentuate that triangle shape. If you're a bigger guy, it's not as necessary. Either way, go for jeans or pants. Choose something with a thick or elasticated material that hugs your leg. They need to fit. (Though don't go TOO far with this, your skinny jeans need to have some ripple, or it looks like you're wearing the bottom-half of a spandex Batman costume!). Also, If you're wearing a black blazer and you want to break up the rigidity, go for grey/brown pants.

Secondly: The Shoes. You can achieve a smooth transition buy wearing a pair of converse high-tops or boots. This is great as it gets rid of that 'bank-job' appearance and allows a 'rockier' element to your look, which worked well for me in Taipei. Let the pants sink into the high-tops/boots or sit just on top of them (like in the first photo). In my opinion, this creates a good streamline for a taller guy.

If you don't wear boots/high-tops. Then, as stated above, the shoes must NOT be black. Black is too rigid and formal. You're not going to a job interview! So stick to brown shoes, and try and make that transition smooth by allowing your socks to show slightly, as in photo two. The bottom of the trouser must hug your ankle TIGHTLY!

This way, the trouser is not eating the shoe, and it complements the streamlined triangle look. You can also create a good transition by rolling the trousers up and exposing your ankles (bare foot or with socks). This is rather hipster, but it can complement Asian style well. (And besides, it's Asia, girls are MAD hipster!)

Thirdly: The abdomen. A FITTED blazer with a loud pocket square is excellent advice, and I've used it a lot. But you can also experiment with other things.

You look around a club on a Saturday night, and what do you see? A sea of shirts, right?

Well, that looks great on a big guy, but there are ways to make it more interesting:

1) Add a pair of shirt-suspenders.

Couldn't find a great photo, but here:

[Image: r94r.jpg]

In my opinion, A fitted white shirt with a black shirt-suspenders is VERY masculine and sexy to a girl. It also helps to to widen your chest and achieve that desired triangle shape. (Which if you're a skinny guy, is vital)

In addition, girls pull my suspenders on nights out :-P, so it's a good toy :-P.

2) A cravat

Again, this broadens the upper-abdomen and can make you look more masculine. (Or really camp if done incorrectly!). Stick to a dark colour and use it with a light shirt. This makes the look so much more interesting and more fashionable. Fashion is really bloody important in Asia. So even if you have no clue about it, this tricks girls into thinking that you do!

(Plus it's great if you're British as you can play up to the Victorian gentleman card. As I do. [Before pumping-and-dumping them!])

Fourthly: The belt.

Belts are really bloody important. If you're wearing a dark shirt: White belt. If you're wearing a light shirt: Black belt.

Ensure that the buckle of the belt stands out, whilst not being too garish.

Avoid a boring buckle like this:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiMPWEMCZ7bVMqLHmK5ag...fxyTW17rHe]

You want to buckle to cover up the part of the belt going through the buckle, if that makes sense. It should be a block shape, and it shouldn't be much taller than the belt itself, otherwise it looks like you've bought it from a pound shop. (Or a 'dollar store'. So many Americans here :-P). In addition, it should be metallic and VERY shiny. (Stainless steel effect).

This makes the outfit look much more expensive/well thought-out than it actually is, and once again it tricks girls into thinking that you're rich and fashionable. (Same effect as an expensive watch I guess).

If you're in Bangkok, go to MBK mall and buy a fake 'Diesel' belt for 300 baht. Looks exactly like the real thing, and instantly transforms your outfit into an 'expensive' one. I did this the other day haha.

Messages In This Thread