rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Living in Manila...

Living in Manila...

I bought a Honda CBR150R

Google it.

It is kind of a real motorcycle. It looks like a big bike and has a great sports bike look to it. But lets be real here, it is 150cc bike. It tops out at 80mph and is not exactly jumping off the starting line. Having driven many different sports bikes in my day it is laughable in comparison to something like a Honda CBR 600.

Having said that though. There is simply no justification to need something as big as a 600 in Manila. 90%+ of the time is going 35mph or less weaving in and out of traffic. The CBR150R is very light and easy to flick back and forth when compared to a bigger 600.

Positives of the CBR150r...
- Best looking bike you are going to find here.
- Fun to drive
- Faster than 95% of the other bikes so you will always jump in front of the pack when at a stop light.
- Easy to find at most dealerships. Anything bigger than this bike and it becomes an import and the price jumps dramatically.
- This bike is in demand and will be easy to sell.

Negatives
- Compared to my bike in Thailand, a honda scoopi (automatic scooter) this bike can be a challenge to drive in traffic. You have to constantly be on the clutch, changing gears, and it is not nearly as light as a scooter. Most people should be driving an automatic scooter. This kind of bike is only for people who love motorcycles.
- More than double the cost of a new scooter.
- I get a bit more attention than I really want. The amount of staring is to the point of making me uncomfortable sometimes.

-------------------

Price
Honda CBR150R - 160,000 pesos ($3,700 USD)
REV'It airwave Jacket - 8,800 pesos ($200 USD)
LS2 Modular Helmet - 3,800 pesos ($88 USD)
Mesh Gloves - 1,600 pesos ($37 USD)

Even with a so called summer mesh jacket it is still hot when you wear it because so much time is spent in slow traffic. I will not wear it when making trips around the fort and Makati. I plan to do some longer trips up to Bagio and will wear it for sure on big journeys like that.

--------------------------

I wear a helmet at all times no matter how far. Every time.

Safety...
It is NOT safe.

I could just stop right there with that statement. It is not advisable for any newbie to even think about it. I have been riding a motorbike since I was 13. I have a ton of experience driving all over SE Asia including a long time in Bali and Bangkok. Manila I would say is a bit more dangerous than BKK. Lots of Jeepneys making random stops all the time add to the chaos. There are also fewer motorcycles in Manila so vehicles are not as aware of them as in BKK. I would highly discourage anyone with out decent experience from driving here.

It is also going to be incredibly frustrating to most people. I had a friend who also bought a motorcycle in Bangkok and sold his a month later. The chaos brought so much stress to him that he was exhausted after any time he drove some where. I don't think this is an uncommon feeling. I happen to love driving a motorcycle in all conditions. The chaos is exciting to me.

The smog and pollution from the trucks and buses is as bad as you would imagine. I have picked some nasty buggers already from all the smog I am breathing.

-----------------

I have a USA car and motorcycle license. I also have an international drivers license. I have read that I am required to have a local license made after 90 days. I may or may not do this. I am going to see how often I get pulled over and how much the cops ask for bribes. If I don't get pulled over to often and the price is cheap I will just bribe the cops.

I never had the proper documentation on me in Bangkok and rarely got pulled over. When i did i would pay something like 200 baht ($7 USD) and be on my way. That is with out a valid license on me. $7 USD hahaha... If you have a little bit of money corruption is amazing.

------------------

Yes it rains a shit load in Manila. Twice as much as Bangkok. In the rainy season it will be shitty to drive the bike. It is now the start of dry season so I have 6 months before I have to worry about it.

-------------------

Will it help me pick up girls...

Yes and No.

No because for them to see you with it you will be driving. Not exactly a time you can go hollar at a girl. This is not driving on the coast of the ocean nice and slow stopping when you see a cute girl. This shit is intense. Your focus better be on the road or you die.

Yes because the girls I do meet up with when I take them on a ride they cream their pants. My bike will be the nicest bike they have ever ridden on. I am a good but aggressive driver and can get their hearts pumping with excitement.

All of them have asked to have their photo taken with it. All of them have commented how much people stair when riding around.

Helmets are the law here. You are asking to get pulled over if you or the girl don't have one on. Plus it is incredibly irresponsible not to wear one. I do carry a helmet around for them if I know I am going to pick a girl up. It is not difficult to attach it to the back of the motorbike. I just let them wear the free one I got from dealership when I bought the bike.

Don't get a bike for girls. Bad idea.

----------------------

Having a bike in Manila is the right thing for maybe 1% of guys who live here. If you were not a motorcycle guy before you came this is not the place to start.

I am that 1%. I fucking love it. The freedom it gives me is incredible. I see parts of the city others will never see. I simply just start driving and go explore and end up in some crazy areas. Eventually I just pull over, pull out my phone look at google maps and try to find my way home. It is just the kind of adventure that I need.

If I am being honest I know that there is a very high chance I will have an accident at some point. It's just the odds. I know it. I accept it.

-----------------------

If I missed any questions or you have more let me know.

Messages In This Thread