rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Man Lives on $5K a Year - 360 View of his "hobbit hole"

Man Lives on K a Year - 360 View of his "hobbit hole"

Quote: (11-06-2013 11:41 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

thedude3737, I hear what you're saying...

Yes, there can be intense and even ecstatic relief in nature. I know that.

But that's what it is, at its best -- relief from the fuller and more meaningful life of the world.

Quote:Quote:

I've had some deeply profound moments out in nature, and I mean out in the boonies away from civilization for a few weeks.

Yes -- a few weeks -- that sounds exactly right.

But I'd wager you would not want to make it much more than that because there is not enough there for a man with a heart and a mind.

And I do not feel that the people who do the sorts of things described in the article actually love nature in the way you speak about. Not any more than the "animal rights" activists you wrote about some time ago really love animals. There are other things going on there... the things that I characterized as fear and hatred of life.

As much as I hate to admit it, there is a reason I live in L.A... It's a love/hate relationship. And I'm not at a point where I could be happy living out in nature all the time, at least I don't think so. Who knows? I've never really gone for it.

I disagree on some points though. I know for a fact that there are certain guys, city life just does nothing for them. A couple of my friends are in this category. One of them is a forest ranger and spends most of the year out in the woods at his station. On the rare occasion he has to come into town he absolutely hates it and can't wait to get back out. He's a weird guy (who isn't?) but he's not antisocial or at odds with the world in any way. He truly feels home out there.

Another friend moved up to Alaska. He's not entirely remote but last I checked he's in a village of 220 people teaching Yupik kids. I've known this guy since high school, very warm and funny guy, just has no use for highly populated areas or 99% of the stuff that most of the population indulges in.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Messages In This Thread