rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Savings and monthly income goals for long term travel?

Savings and monthly income goals for long term travel?

Quote: (11-03-2013 02:57 PM)bacon Wrote:  

Maybe its just me but these 3-4k estimates seem high for long term travel.

For one thing once you stay in a place and move away from hotels your housing costs go down a lot. 500 dollars a month is going to get you comfortable housing in most of LA, SEA and i suspect EE. If you dont look on the internet (which targets westerners with deep pockets) and use the local newspaper or walk in neighborhoods you might want to live looking for rental places you will find nice local housing thats affordable.

Then the issue of food. Many countries have great street food(thailand,mexico etc) which cuts down on your dining expenses. Aditionally you could cook at home so no need to spend money at expensive restuarants which are still much cheaper than back home. Also the cost of food products is usually chepaer for instance vegetables/fruit is often 10cents to the dollar what it costs in the US here in Mexico.

Alcohol costs are far less. Want bottle service at a club Ive had a bottle of absolute vodka for 20 bucks in peru and 50 bucks in mexico.

Driving/car maintance no need as most countries have cheap taxis,bus services, walkable layouts.

If you ask me a single guy should be able to live quite comforable for under 2k a month unless he has a drug habit and even that is cheaper to maintain in many countries than back home.

Exactly.

People who are aiming to make 4-5k per month passively, won't be travelling any time soon.

I live in DR and I spend around 950 bucks per month and I can afford to spend way more but there is no need to for me right now. My life is built on minimising my expenses without being frugal, I don't see a reason to drive, I don't go out to bars because I prefer day game, i drink alcohol once a week max, sometimes 2 times in a month. All these guys saying they spend 4k or 5k per month, please tell me, what are you doing with your money?

I think 2 thousand dollars a month would give me a comfortable lifestyle anywhere in Latin america or the Caribbean.

If you guys can learn anything from me, take this, don't live to impress other people or women, your life will be less expensive if you take that advice.

Messages In This Thread