rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Charleston Trip Report

Charleston Trip Report

I'll provide a little update on Charleston since some of this information is outdated or not necessarily the most accurate. I grew up in North Charleston and still live here and have also lived in downtown Charleston, James Island, Goose Creek, etc.

Surrounding Cities

I would suggest staying away from North Charleston in general. The North Charleston Market Street Saloon that Ali mentioned got shut down. Something about some blonde guy giving all the employees chlamydia [Image: tard.gif] It was one of the better spots in the area when it was open but the downtown location is terrible.

I hate Wild Wings North Charleston. I haven't been there much for happy hour but it sucks at night. They often have a live band but the setup is terrible and it's always loud as fuck. The downtown location is the same issue. They did used to have a lunch buffet in NC...can't really beat all you can eat wings and there food is pretty good. King St. Grille across the street is better in my opinion. Their setup is awesome and the building open into an outside bar with patio.

Charleston is undergoing some major gentrification. The city is known for it's historic architecture and they have strict guidelines on how buildings can be renovated. They've started to loosen some of those restrictions though.

The magazine Conde Naste Traveler named Charleston the #1 tourism destination in the world for this past year and it was #1 in the US the year prior (this was voted by their readers). "Upper" King is being developed like crazy. I haven't been down there in a few weeks but they've got a few hotels and store fronts under construction. Restaurants and bars are popping up left and right.

As the bad areas in Charleston are renovated and housing prices go up, these communities are migrating to the North area. North Charleston is on the way down in a fast way. I know cats who have been victim to armed home invasions and armed robberies in neighborhoods that were once considered "good". Police presence is too high for me to feel comfortable personally.

I negotiated a deal on one of the nicer spots (not high end but good for the area) over near Charleston Southern University but after a year or so passed the neighborhood started declining hard and then you had people getting murdered out front. This is coming from someone who was living in one of the worst neighborhoods in North Charleston back in '06-'08 when we were top 10 in murder per capita for a few years running.

I don't have time for that shit these days and it's just not worth it, especially when you can drive 10 or 20 minutes down the road and have nicer everything, including a huge increase in women. A girl that stands out in North Charleston is run of the mill in Downtown Charleston.

Park Circle, which is considered "downtown" North Charleston and is much closer to Charleston, isn't bad but I don't know too much about it. I've been to a couple spots out there but can't remember much about them. Madra Rua Irish Pub is popular but I don't recall the quality of women.

Downtown Summerville is about 10-15 minutes from North Charleston in the opposite direction of Charleston and has a decent bar scene. The second Madra Rua location is here. Montreux Bar & Grill is usually popping. On the lower end, fairly younger crowd. The building is long and narrow. There's a bar as you come in the door, then you walk back to pool tables, then you can walk out the back door to find people playing beer pong outside. The Ice House is another dive bar that is very popular.

West Ashley and Mt. Pleasant also have higher quality girls than North Charleston but are more spread out and I'm frankly not as familiar with either area. You pass through Mt. Pleasant to get to the other local beach, Isle of Palms. Not much different than Folly Beach but it is a more affluent area.

Mt. Pleasant Towne Centre is a little collection of shops that could serve for some decent day game. You get to Mt. Pleasant from downtown by crossing the Ravenel Bridge (biggest suspension bridge in North America) aka HWY 17. I haven't been too many bars out this way but they have plenty of restaurants. Carter's Kitchen is good. Langdon's Restaurant and Wine Bar is an excellent higher end spot. They have plenty of places to eat on Shem Creek, including Water's Edge and Page's Okra Grill.

West Ashley has a mall, Citadel, with a Target inside where you can catch some cute girls sometimes. There's a spot called Voodoo bar that I've been to a couple of times that wasn't bad. You can just go to Walmart or Target and tell the quality is better than North Charleston. They're not as well known for their restaurants but Paisono's has probably the best pizza I've found in the greater Charleston area. A yankee actually put me onto them.

There's also one on James Island, which I will briefly talk about. To get to JI from downtown, get on Calhoun. Go towards Rutledge, away from Eastbay. You want Broad St. on your left (I will explain these streets further down). Just keep going, follow the signs to James Island and take the connector over the water. When you get to the end of the connector, you will come to Folly Road. Right is mostly nothing, left is the beach (a ways down).

James Island is a laid back beach town. I really like the area but there's not really all that much to do besides the beach. When I lived out here I wasn't 21 yet and there aren't that many great bars out here anyways as far as I know. Keep going down Folly Road and eventually you'll come to Folly Beach. Easy enough.

Anyways, let's get into downtown Charleston. I see cats recommending spots like Noisy Oyster and Fleet Landing and it pains me. Fleet Landing is a tourist trap. Noisy Oyster is a step above Applebee's. This is a city that has produced 3 James Beard award winning chefs in the past 5 years and has an amazing restaurant culture.

Restaurants

Let's start in that same area though (the Market/Meeting St./East Bay St.) Vendue Inn is right there on Eastbay. It's got a rooftop bar and good food. 'Social' is a cool little wine bar nearby. Cute cocktail servers.

A couple streets over on Meeting you have FIG. Rewind. You can pass through the Market on the way here. There is a spot called Kaminsky's that has the some of the best desserts you'll ever have. They're open fairly late too, so hit this spot up if you have a sweet tooth like I do.

Back to FIG. Excellent food, the executive chef won best in the Southeast in 2009. He just recently opened another spot in town, an oyster bar called The Ordinary that I've heard great things about.

Couple blocks down you have Eli's Table, a nice little spot for breakfast and lunch (dinner is good, too, but it's not really fucking with some of the competition in the area honestly; though they used to have live jazz in the courtyard which was cool). Laid back atmosphere with a beautiful courtyard out back. Good prices. Bottomless mimosas all day for like $10 or $12. Sweet potato pancakes are fucking delicious.

They have a pizza at lunch that has a pita crust with pesto sauce, a few kinds of cheese, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, and chicken which is amazing. A couple of really good (but not even close to healthy) salads, too...one with spinach, steak medallions, fried onions, asparagus, and bleu cheese dressing. Another with spinach, fried oysters, and a spicy vinaigrette. They have an awesome chicken wrap and the smoked salmon BLT is not really my thing but some people rave about it.

Right off Meeting on Queen St. you have Husk. Good luck getting in here for dinner, reservations go back for months, but lunch is doable. Higher end spot that opened a couple years ago, really fresh, Southern inspired food. The executive chef is another James Beard best chef in the Southeast award winner and has an older place called McCrady's that's very popular also. 82 Queen is right next door and is very good.

Shifting our focus over to King St.

Side note #1: Getting around Charleston 101.

Eastbay, Meeting, King, and Rutledge streets all run parallel to each other all the way through Charleston towards the water (the "Battery"). Calhoun and Broad streets intersect run parallel to each other and intersect each of these. Before Calhoun is "upper" i.e. upper King. Vice versa, after Calhoun is "lower". Before Broad is "north" of Broad. Vice versa.

I get lost walking around Charleston all the time but if you remember these main streets, you can use them to get your bearings.

Side not #2: If you like architecture or just want to take a relaxing walk, the area "South of Broad" (past Broad St. and before the water) has some beautiful (and very expensive) houses. One of the things that separates Charleston is the city didn't see much destruction during the Civil War so these are some of the oldest houses in the country.

Back to what I was saying...King St. One street over from Meeting. This area houses the shopping district of Charleston. Everything from Gucci to Urban Outfitters. Also has some decent little lower end spots to grab a cheap bite. Pita Pit is good and very popular with the younger crowd. Think Subway but not shitty and easier to eat. You get to choose your meat (everything from chicken and turkey to lamb), veggies, sauce, etc. It's also really easy to eat so you can just walk around sightseeing while you much on your pita.

Gilroy's is not necessarily the best pizza spot in town but they're open late and they usually have a small pizza and drink lunch special for $6. I used to fuck with the La Hacienda Mexican spot back in college because they were cheap as fuck but Santi's on the outskirts of town is better. I've always been a big fan of Kickin' Chicken, though they can be very hit or miss. Sports bar atmosphere, wings, fried chicken sandwiches, fried chicken salads. I think you can get grilled chicken if you ask nicely but they might spit on it.

You made it to Calhoun St. The College of Charleston's open campus is to your left. Stop for a moment to enjoy the sights [Image: lol.gif] Feel free to cut a left and walk through the swarms of co-eds. Double back to King. On your right, Marion Square Park, which is often filled with sunbathing college girls in bikinis.

Upper King. Macintosh is a very popular higher end spot. Also, Hall's Chophouse. Stars Grill Room just opened recently. Another higher end spot. They have an open kitchen and cook over an open flame on a custom made wood burning grill. Possibly the best she-crab soup in town, they have a mini-burger appetizer with oyster mushrooms, I think it's a buffalo milk cheese?, and a black trouffled aioli which is amazing. Really dope rooftop bar that gets bumping on the weekends.

Hom is a little hipster burger boutique place that was pretty good when I went there. There are good restaurants on every corner in Charleston.

Hotels

I don't know much about hotels but I will say that The Restoration on King is MUCH nicer than Charleston Place, albeit a little pricier. It's a smaller boutique hotel but it's straight luxury and the suites all have full-sized kitchens with high end appliances and washers & dryers.

Bars/Night Life

My bar knowledge might not be the best because I haven't been going out much lately but I have a decent idea of the layout. Upper King is becoming higher end as it develops but the bar scene is mostly a college crowd. Midtown is usually packed with college girls. I like their setup too. They have a stage and usually have live music with a little dance area. They have two rooms with two large bars. Then a little patio with an outside bar.

Silver Dollar is another bar that's packed with college bitches, though it's on the smaller side and usually has a line and $5 or $10 cover if you're just trying to scope shit out. The rooftop bar at Stars is nice but they do enforce a dress code and there is often a line to get upstairs. Nice higher end spot though with a pretty cool little arrangement.

If you're walking "up" King (away from Calhoun), past all these bars I just mentioned, bust a left on Spring, then a right on St. Philip there will be a little hole in the wall dive bar called Cutty's a few blocks down. It's just a tiny little joint filled with hipsters and a single pool table but I have been in here nights where there's 20 people and 5 of them are attractive girls. Can be a sausage fest on many nights though.

Further down King is The Recovery Room, which someone else mentioned, another popular dive bar. Moe's Crosstown is also down that way on Rutledge (parallel to King, on the left) but I've only been there like once. Cannon St. and beyond is a rougher area of town so be wary if you're heading out that way late at night.

There are a few other higher end spots that have popped up recently that I can't say much about. There was one whose name escapes me that was nice and they were adding an outdoor bar but it was dead as fuck on like a Friday night when I was there.

Go back to Calhoun, on your left, across from Marion Square Park is place called Mynt. I think Sourcecode mentioned it already. Really popular with the college crowd.

Hike all the fucking way up to the Market (about a ten minute walk). You don't really see many people flagging cabs in town, though you can always call one, but there are little bike taxis floating around most of the time. Anyways, the Market. You have Henry's, which can be cool, and NV which was really popular at one time but I haven't been there recently. Dress code enforced.

If you pass Eastbay, there is a hookah bar there at the end called Tabbuli. Usually pretty crowded, attractive waitresses. Double back to Eastbay. There is a string of bars right here but there was a fire a few months back that damaged some of them pretty badly and I haven't been back in that area much. Tsunami is a little sushi spot with a bar. I think Thursday's or some shit they have $1 Blue Moons.

Wet Willie's. You may have one of these in your town. Does yours have $3 Patron shots? This one does. I believe Jack is a $3 also. I don't like this place much but I usually stop in when I'm in the area for $3 Patron because you just can't fucking beat that.

Not really much else in terms of bars in this part of town that I can think of. There are two bars a ways down Eastbay in the opposite direction called The Tattooed Moose and The Royal American (right before the housing projects lol). I've haven't been out there yet because I'm usually on foot but I know they're pretty popular dives. The Mexican restaurant Santi's I mentioned is also right over there.

Crashing House Parties

If you got onto CofC's campus at Calhoun and you go down a few blocks then bust a left, many of the frat/sorority houses are down that way. I don't remember the streets or where exactly they are but I've just rolled up in there with my boys before and partied. There is a street across from the Visitor's Center on Meeting St. between the school they're building/will be built and the Charleston Museum where I've found some house parties. Sometimes I'll just find random groups of people and follow them [Image: lol.gif]

Day Game

For day game, College of Charleston campus, Marion Square Park, King St., the Market. They have cruises leave and come in by the Market and you are going to find plenty of tourists in that area. King St. shopping district will be a mix of tourists and locals. Upper King will be mostly locals and college students. Marion Square will be filled will college students with a great ratio at certain times of the day. Many of them will be sunbathing though so you may have trouble opening.

Once you're on CofC's campus, bust a left at St. Philip. Yes! This will probably be the highest concentration of college girls during the day. You will eventually come to an intersection with a little gated grassy area that I can't remember the name of and a CVS on the corner on the opposite side.

The world is your oyster. Feel free to stop into CVS for some baking soda. Taking a left here will take you past their old gym/PE center and you'll see girls walking out this way. Taking a right will pass girls, then you can take your next left and you'll come back out on Calhoun near the school library. Between St. Philip and the street you're on now there is a small Starbucks where you'll find almost exclusively college students who read good books and know plenty about phones. At the corner of King and Calhoun, before you turned onto campus, there is one there also.

If you take that left and continue past the College of Charleston campus, a ways down at Rutledge you will come to the Medical University of South Carolina campus. Tons of little nurses running around out here. Bust a right on campus to find the most people.

Calhoun is good from about Meeting until the connector.

King St. has a nice stretch of people. You can walk from about Cannon to Broad and see decent concentrations. They will be highest from about Calhoun to Market.

Meeting starts a little later, from about Mary St. to Broad. There's a little aparment complex on Mary between King and Meeting where tons of college girls live.

Market St. starts at King before branching into North and South Market after Meeting. These streets run parallel with an open air market in between. High concentration of people in this area.

The Battery (King, Meeting and Eastbay all lead here) has a decent concentration of people but it's more of sightseeing/family type area.

Messages In This Thread