rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Office: Michael Scott & The Concept Of Shame

The Office: Michael Scott & The Concept Of Shame

Reposting from other thread:
First off, thanks for the write up. I've found that the office has many different sociological concepts well highlighted in this show.

But I have a question for you since you spent a lot of time on narcissists, what do you do about them? You cant avoid them since they make up much of America, especially women. So the issue would be to get someone from a narcissistic behaviour set to a less narcissistic one.

I've talked with psychologists and they've told me the hardest people to treat are narcissists since they cant admit they have a problem. As you mention, to admit a problem means they would feel 100% bad about themselves. And since they can't acknowledge they have a problem, they can never really work on fixing it.

I feel something powerfully externally would have to cripple their self-identity and that would be only way for them to just begin to consider there is someone wrong. But even then, most cases, narcissists will just double down on their psychological defenses. Hence, hamster rationalization of their poor decisions.

It seems to me the best strategy to deal with narcissists is preventing people from becoming ones in the first place since once they start using this set of psychological defenses, it's pretty impenetrable to change.

PS: as a fellow dyslexic, I sometimes print my stuff out to insure that i don't have too many typos but do i understand that means it takes a crap load more time.

Messages In This Thread