rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Organizing a Pub Crawl in Tourist Cities for $$ and flags

Organizing a Pub Crawl in Tourist Cities for $$ and flags

Quote: (09-01-2013 11:22 AM)Safado Wrote:  

You're in a city that gets visited by a lot of foreign tourists. You want to make some cash and get some flags at the same time. Why not start a pub crawl?

Round up all of the tourists staying at hostels in a 1km radius and bring them to 3 or 4 bars in the area. Negotiate with the bar owners to get free entrance and a discount on drinks. Charge $30-50 a head. Hostels get a commission for referrals.

It sounds easy enough in theory, but complications will arise from herding around 40 drunk people. How do you keep the group intact as you move from place to place?

I'm gonna hit the pavement tomorrow here in Rio and hustle to make this happen. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Or if you've been on a pub crawl what are your thoughts on how to make this into a successful event?

I have never organized a pub crawl but I have participated.

Here's how the "keeping everyone together" thing worked.

Everyone got a small card/flyer type thing that could fit in their pocket with the name of the bars, in order, and a map. So you knew first bar with Alice's, then Mickey's, then Nicks, etc. And you knew where they were because of the small map printed on it with the bars pinpointed.

This little flyer was what you needed to show to get the drink specials at the bar. The drink specials were limited to 2 a place. This way, everyone gets there, grabs a few drinks, and leaves, keeping the flow going.

Of course some people straggle and you can't force every drunk person to follow you in an orderly fashion. But especially if it's a bunch of tourists in a strange city, it'll be obvious when they come and go, and people largely want to stick with the group.

So thanks to this map, showing the order of the bars that you're to attend, and the drink limit, people more or less follow the plan. Some may go do other shit, which is fine, they've already paid and everything so really who cares?

Might be best to do this as a day drinking type of event. Bars will be less packed so you won't have the issue of 40 drunk ass tourists showing up to an already crowded venue and everything sucking. They can go be their drunk selves and basically take over different bars, then leave after a little while. Bring in business the bar wouldn't have had without displacing people on a Friday night who would be paying normally anyway.

I don't know Rio but this is obviously best done in a very small easy to walk area where drunk asses can stumble from bar to bar without getting lost or confused. I'm sure you can think of an area.

Messages In This Thread