rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How To Move Out On Your Own?

How To Move Out On Your Own?

I currently live with my parents and I want to move out by early January 2014. Here's what I understand so far:

1) I need money- I just got laid off from my temp job and am now looking for a new one. I'm being as frugal as possible and putting 10% of what I earn into a separate account so I can start my own business with it.

2) Location matters- The state, city, part of the city. Does it have jobs? Transportation? Nightlife? People the same age as me? Are the people friendly?

Now what I don't get is how to do it. I asked a couple of friends who moved out and they weren't much help. Friend #1 said he researched cities and when he found a city he liked, he looked up jobs and housing and when he found what he liked, he saved the money and basically drove out there without putting a down payment on an apartment or having a job waiting for him. Friend #2 said he vacationed at a city where one of his friends lived and decided to move there a few months later with him. He later found a job but is still living with his friend.

Here are the questions on my mind and what Google doesn't really help with:

Do I need credit history to rent a place?

Do I really need a credit card? If so, how do I go about getting one and what advice could you give me? I mainly use cash and my debit for online. I hate owing money.

Should I have a job locked down when I move or should I save some extra money to tide me over and go looking for one?

Should I buy a car before moving? (I'm a little iffy on this because cars eat up a good portion of one's paycheck (gas, insurance, maintenance))

How do I calculate the cost of living in a city per month?

I would prefer to live on my own but if a roommate would keep expenses down, so be it.

If you guys have any advice, stories or suggestions on where to move/what to do, please share.

Messages In This Thread