rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Stand By Me:" Thoughts On Maturing & Growing As A Person

"Stand By Me:" Thoughts On Maturing & Growing As A Person

@JimNortonFan & DoBA:

Ah, you have given me an idea for a post!

When I thought about it, for the life of me I could not think of any TV episode I had watched or movie that reflected the growth of a man as man in young adulthood.

I recall books like "Where The Red Fern Grows" and "The Body" but I could not think of anything modern.

I think part of that is because the growth of a man, today, is determined by his relationship with women.

If he is alpha, he gets to determine his relationship with women - or is his autonomy afforded by women? Complicated, to be sure. It shows how the defintion of alpha is very contextual & complicated. I need to think about this one more.

However, what isn't complicated is the relationship between women & betas/omegas. I have recently talked about masculinity as determined by authority figures.

I think I will review "American Pie," probably toss in "Van Wilder" and talk about how masculine growth into adulthood is often portrayed as gaining the approval of a female - always portrayed as more mature, intelligent and as an authority figure. I think I may contrast "Stand By Me" with more recent bromance fare like "Superbad."

One of the reasons men & masculinity have become so divorced, as Robert Glover pointed out in "No More Mister Nice Guy" is that men have been divorced, quite literally, from raising boys into adulthood. They grow up in female dominated households, go to female dominated schools and get fed a steady diet of female centric media. Can't remember the last TV show I watched in which there weren't scenes specifically designed to bolster female ego at the expense of male self-esteem.

Just thoughts. If the post is deep enough, may just port it into RoK straight away.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Messages In This Thread