rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New trends in employment, blackballing and social conservatism

New trends in employment, blackballing and social conservatism

Quote: (06-14-2013 09:49 AM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (06-14-2013 09:38 AM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

PC - Why do you think resumes are useless?

The same recruiter was stressing how important it was.

If you're fresh out of college, resumes carry more weight. Mostly they just want to see a high GPA and that you filled out your college experience with some extracurricular clubs or organizations. It also helps to have an international internship or something that will catch someone's eye and serve as a talking point. It's about all you have at this point and employers know that, but for good positions it has to be spotless and impressive. Otherwise, get ready to supplement with personal network and advertising yourself online.

If you've already worked a few years, the resume basically serves a checks-and-balances purpose. You'll most likely get interview leads from someone you know, who will have already vouched for you to their supervisor or HR. They will then pour over your LinkedIn before you go to the interview, as another screen.

So the resume is still very important, but good luck sending that in anonymously to online job postings. You'll most likely rely on your personal network, a headhunters network, or your linkedin skills to get that initial bite. Like I said then the resume just becomes one of several checks-and-balances to make sure you are who you say you are and can fulfill the duties of the position.

To add to that, resumes are definitely important if you are an unknown quantity, like if you are a fresh grad or if you can't get a recommendation into any job. Though in my industry, recommendations trump all since the community is rather small and everyone pretty much knows everyone else. I have actually never had my resume scrutinized, keep a nearly blank linkedin page, and never had an interview be anything more than a formality, all because I interned at one place for college credit and got a recommendation into the industry.

It has gotten rather ridiculous as of late, in that it's almost impossible for a new grad to break into the field, especially on top of the social conservative kick that everyone seems to be having now. I think the industry only hires like, <30% of new grads that apply now, and they are almost all LDS/hard core protestant/otherwise social conservative types from what I have seen. Experience also doesn't seem to matter anymore; if you get laid off and you don't have any recommendations or any book of business, your career dies right there.

It sucks now and I kinda feel sorry for the new grads. I am fairly certain that I would never break in the industry today with the credentials and history that I had as a new grad.

Messages In This Thread