rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rewarding/Punishing people for uncontrollable outcomes

Rewarding/Punishing people for uncontrollable outcomes

Quote: (05-29-2013 03:10 PM)Wutang Wrote:  

For my second question, looks like I wasn't clear so I apologize. The main point I was driving towards is that before you seemed to be saying we should - with should implying that we have a duty to do so - choose something that leads to less suffering and avoid what leads to more. My question was how are we even able to make these choices? Under a deterministic worldview, we aren't. And if aren't then I don't see how we can have a duty to do so. Even if most of us agree that less suffering is a good thing, it seems like the most we can hope for is that the world has already been pre-determined to lead to a future where there is less suffering so there is no use in really talking about what we can do to create such a world whether it be becoming more well-informed or becoming more scientifically literate.

We are able to make 'choices' in the sense that we can become well-informed and use our powers of reason to determine the best course of action to reduce suffering. We can discuss, debate, criticize and praise ideas. None of this requires free will.

You still seem to be stuck on the notion that determinism equals fatalism. A point which Harris swiftly rejected in the video.

Messages In This Thread