rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Networking

Networking

Quote: (05-02-2013 12:41 AM)lurker Wrote:  

What is it about not mentioning that you're looking for a job that's considered de rigeur for networking purposes? Seriously, wouldn't it be refreshing if someone networking with you just came out and said, "Frankly, I'm looking for a job in your industry. Now, I'm not interested in pressuring you for one - if you come across an opportunity you think I might fit, great, but otherwise I'm just trying to meet people and see what's out there at the moment?"

The way you frame the question is reasonable - it's not desperate, it's aloof, it gives the person you're talking to multiple options to choose from to assist you.

The problem is most people will come across as desperate if they go direct. Also, people feel bad about not being able to help you, which makes them avoid you. By 'exploring opportunities' and asking for an introduction rather than a job you make it easier and more comfortable for people to help you. This paradox makes it easier to find a job.

Direct game might work for some people, but my guess is that indirect game will work better for most. It prevents you coming across as needy.

Messages In This Thread