rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which IT skill has big long term potential?

Which IT skill has big long term potential?

Quote: (04-09-2013 08:32 PM)iWin Wrote:  

Big Data is HUGE right now. Some data scientists are getting above 300K with the norms being 125K-150K even for college grads. Some skills you want to focus on are mathematics(specifically be well versed in stats), NoSQL(and other versions of SQL), Hadoop, R, a mainstream programming language and relational data base theory.

Heres a link to a data science course at CourseEra. It starts on May 1st and is taught by University of Washington. Alot of the fundamentals can be learned during that course.

Some other great areas to get certified in would be VMWare technologies like VCP5-DCV(data center virtualization) and the VCP-Cloud cert for cloud computing.In addition certifications for Cloud Computing like the Cloud Computing Infrastructure Architect cert by IBM and the EMC Cloud Architect Certification (EMCCA) are in high demand.

I currently work remotely and I am in the data storage field. If virtual system admin work appeals to you(big demand in the cloud sphere) then being location dependent is definitely feasible since many companies don't want to take on travel costs since they manage datacenters in many different countries. It can also be dependent on making a arrangement with your manager.

Thank you for the coursera Data Science link. I will take the course seems interesting

Messages In This Thread