rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fuck minimalism...

Fuck minimalism...

Quote:Quote:

As to the minimalism, also disagree heavily. I'm 25, make a lower-range six figures, don't own a car, prepay everything, and all my worldly belongings could fit in two suitcases. I could clear this room in 20 minutes flat, walk out the door, and never look back.

The stuff you own ends up owning you.

If I were a deca-millionaire would I buy a bunch of expensive toys? Maybe, maybe not.

Yeah the key is to do a real cost-benefit analysis that covers more than just the cash you spend. How much spare capacity in your life do you have to accommodate this new thing? Capacity is time, money, mental, physical, and space.

For example, a paperback.

Time: How much of your life must you devote to the book to appreciate it? (48 hours)
Money: Can you afford maintenance costs? (monetary maintenance for a paperback is minimal)
Mental: Does reading this book wind up occupying space on a mental to-do list? (A little bit)
Physical: Does taking care of the book require any physical labor? (Yes, a little: you have to move it to dust around it. You have to carry it with you if you move to a new home.)
Space: Do you have any room to store this thing? (A paperback takes up physical space on a bookshelf or a box in your closet)

10 years ago I discovered I was buying books and then not reading them. They were accumulating space in my apartment and not providing me any value whatsoever. That was my first introduction to the value of minimalism. Did I stop buying books altogether? Did I stop reading entirely? No and no. But I became much more selective and careful about books I actually was willing to purchase and thought about more than whether I could afford the purchase price.

Messages In This Thread