rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Paralysis From Too Much Choice

Paralysis From Too Much Choice

Quote: (02-11-2013 10:22 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

Damn, felt like I was reading something I wrote.

Me too. Actually just reading it puts me in a bad mood. I can do so much and always want to do more stuff.

I tried freelancing but its so fucking hard to find clients. All the job posts have like 40+ applicants, and how will you compete against a bunch of Indians that charge 50% less?

I don't know how people do it really, and sometimes I feel like I've got nothing else but to give in to the 9-5 which I despise and refuse to...

I'm a still new to freelancing online (~7-8 months), but I have learned a ton from my previous experiences that when I go full force into the business I'm starting I'm going to do things somewhat differently than before. Here are some of those things.

1) I'm keeping my day job until the income is sustainable. This may be a no-brainer to some, but I made this mistake 5 years ago. I quit a stable job to start a business, and for me it didn't work. I was constantly worried about money that it was fucking me up. I racked up a lot of debt, and had little in terms of a safety net. I would have done better if I had savings. This time, I'm working a 9-5 while working on the business on the side. For me there's no downside because I'm motivated to come home and keep working, and I can see if the business is going to be viable or not.

2) Networking. I see freelancing sites like online dating with the clients being the girls. Just like chicks online the prospects are getting bombarded with offers, which do they pick? Again it's too many choices and they get paralyzed.

So a solution to that is not to give up with the online sites, but also to network face to face. In the age of technology this is a lost art. In the US, we have networking groups, chamber of commerce events, etc. If those don't exist start one. Start a networking group with 8-10 people each an expert in their field. The key to this is having only one expert for each field and finding like minded people. The last thing you want is a bunch of guys who are 'too protective of their clients.' and all they like to do is take and not give. That's why you need to choose carefully. Networking probably won't bring an immediate result, but eventually it'll be a gold mine.

You can network ANYWHERE. EVERYONE is an opportunity. I've recruited a bunch of people to our BJJ school, they were just people I talked to at the bar or the gym.

3) Referrals, something that a lot of people ignore. Let's say you did a great job for a client. Here's just a sample conversation I'm just making up:

You: How did the new sales page do after the tests?
Client: It was great we went from 1.3% to 5.2%, thank you so much!
You: That's awesome, I'm happy that we were able to work together and I was able to increase your sales!
Client: Yes you did a great job [Image: smile.gif]
You: Now that you see the value of what I can do, do you know of anyone else who can benefit from my services?

Some people like to volunteer people and others don't. The thing is go for referrals every time, then shoot the guy an email or give him a call.

"Hi (Referral's name),

This is Neo and I recently did some work with Joe Marketer and I wanted to reach out to you. Your name came up when we were thinking of other people that would benefit from my services. Here's my website and portfolio. Looking forward to working with you."

You can even take it a step further and give the guy a finders fee. Let's say the new project is going to be $500 give him 10% or $50 for the referral. The way I see it if he didn't refer you you'd be getting 0.

I know some industries forbid it or claim it's unethical so it's up to you guys to look into the specifics and legality. I find nothing wrong with it because that's how a lot of business is done.

Messages In This Thread