rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Brain Training," Lumosity and the like...

"Brain Training," Lumosity and the like...

Quote: (12-20-2012 07:05 AM)Stitch Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

You should already be exercising anyways.

But people don't; common sense is not the same as common action, but that wasn't the point. The question was how physical activity can do more for the brain than brain games, which is the question I answered: it improves brain function in specific ways which are more broad-reaching than "brain games".

Yes, meditation also improves brain function in specific ways which are more broad-reaching than "brain games"; so does learning an instrument, learning a new language, and many other activities. A mind which meditates but knows nothing is useless (arguably more so than one which learns an instrument or a new language).

In any case, actively pursuing just about anything will improve willpower or "grit", which if you're concerned about general achievement is probably more important than any of the above activities, as Storm implies.

No, I agree that "brain games" as in Lumosity do no help. I do think certain puzzles, problem solving exercises, etc. can help though.

I realize that everyone does not exercise though it should be one of the cornerstones of personal development and maintenance. My point is that it is not going to make your brain stronger than it is currently capable which is what brain games claim to do (though we agree that they do not). It will only allow you to better utilize what you already have.

Meditation, learning a new language, reading stimulating literature, solving problems...these are things that actually expand the mind.

Messages In This Thread