rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My Personal Journey to Becoming a Moderate Social Drinker

My Personal Journey to Becoming a Moderate Social Drinker

I'll second OGNorCal707 - that is a hell of a story, BB, and you tell it well.

Quote: (11-08-2012 02:03 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

BUT ALLTHAT SAID, it was a case of not owning up to the commitment I'd made to myself, and to be honest I was disappointed with myself about it when I thought on it later, especially given that I only had to stick with the 3 drinks per day rule for the first week.

In the book, they talk about how sometimes fuck-ups happen, and that a lot of people who are trying to control their drinking react to their own fuck-up by completely giving up on the idea then and there, which sends them on a downward spiral. Rather, the correct action is to get yourself back on track and keep trying to stick to the new behavior you're creating for yourself. If that means going back a week, then so be it.

This is super important. Fuck-ups can and will happen, and you need to keep the mentality that you should stay on track - don't get discouraged and don't quit. It's very likely that you'll see a few more nights when you slip over your committed limit. It happened quite a few times to me, but I kept with my treatment, and ultimately made a lot of progress in the long run. You have the right mindset.

I'd also like to caution you about the "honeymoon" phenomenon. Usually when someone commits themselves to a a behavioral change (whether it be starting an exercise regimen, diet, moderating the drink, etc.) the initial excitement about making this change leads to a lot of initial progress. Once that glow wears off, that's when the prime time for slip-ups begins. Should you find this happen to you (and it's certainly not a guarantee), continue to keep with the program - keep that mindset. I went through it too.

I really like your measured, well thought-out replies to those posters that insist on the AA/abstinence paradigm. That mentality is so engrained in Western culture, and debating against it is always gonna be an uphill battle. Keep it up, man.

Messages In This Thread