rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lifting Weights and Martial Arts

Lifting Weights and Martial Arts

Quote: (10-10-2012 04:11 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

I think so! [Image: banana.gif]

In all seriousness I was hoping a bit more from you Rio because of your experience is all, but I digress.

How many times per week are you boxing, at what intensity, and for how long?

You want to be training your sport about 3x as much as you train your strength. So if you are training 8-10 hours per week in boxing, I would do 2 lifting sessions per week. Each session will take 1-1.5 hours generally.

For strength training I would say do a program similar to starting strength, but 2x per week. Maybe Mondays and Thursdays. Always make sure to have at least 1 rest day per week.

It also depends on how far out you are from your fight, assuming you are fighting.

I am no expert. A good source of info you can check out is 8weeksout.com. There are lots of schools of thought of weight training for fighting. I've read a lot. Fisto and I have different approaches. He is also a pro fighter, and I am not. I am a hobbyist. Fisto likes Crossfit. I don't. We each have our reasons.

If you don't have a fight anytime soon, and you do not have much experience with compound lifts, I would do the Starting Strength routine 2x per week. I trained Jiu Jitsu 4x per week, and Starting Strength 3x per week, and I could handle the load. If you are training for a fight, you may not be able to.

Your goal should be on increasing your explosiveness. People will tell you to do plyometrics, but that is for advanced athletes who already have a very high strength base. For a novice to intermediate, the quickest and most efficient way to increase your explosiveness is to increase your max strength. The best way to do that is heavy compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bent over rows, pull/chin ups, bench press, overhead press, push press, etc. with heavy weight and low reps.

I'm rambling now and I have to go ice my nose because it hurts like a bitch.

Joedefranco.com, 8weeskout.com, Sherdog Strength and Conditioning forum, startingstrength.com are all good sources to read up on, and all will have different approaches.

Messages In This Thread