rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vague Use of the Term "Sexual Assault" in News Coverage

Vague Use of the Term "Sexual Assault" in News Coverage

Quote: (08-19-2012 06:17 PM)Samseau Wrote:  

Quote: (08-19-2012 03:34 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

On what basis are you saying the assault against the rower is bullshit?

Are you kidding me? Women make up false rape/sexual assault/sexual harassment stories all the time.

Therefore sexual assault and rape never happen... [Image: tinfoilhat.gif]

I've skimmed several articles on her now, and they're all extremely vague. They don't say anything more than that a 'sexual assault' occurred. The Daily Mail says she said she got raped.

Considering that you can press assault charges for fairly minor things, it follows that you could file sexual assault charges for something minor too. Not that that's a good thing in either case, but that seems like the status quo.

Quote: (08-19-2012 06:31 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Quote: (08-19-2012 03:34 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

On what basis are you saying the assault against the rower is bullshit?

Just to be clear: I'm not necessarily saying this particular assault allegation is bullshit. She may very well have been "assaulted," but we have no way of knowing what actually happened to her from this story. I was merely using this case as one of a growing pool of examples. What I'm pointing out is not the preponderance of false accusations (which, as we all have seen in recent months, is significant), or that this case is one of those. It's the increased use of this problematic term--"sexual assault"--to mean just about anything that I find disturbing.

Rapists, gropers, and "leerers" are being thrown into the same pot by irresponsible "reporters" and "gender" ideologues. This lumping is a subtler, and more insidious, component of this social control against men and their sexuality, I'd argue.

Fair enough. I agree, I think it's a mix of the *endemic* journalistic incompetence you see today, and a special misandric component as well. I'm sure there are dozens of feminists out there ready to make the wacky argument that leering is 'almost' sexual assault, and sexual assault is 'practically' rape. Mix everything under the category of 'assault' and suddenly every guy that bats an eye the wrong way has the status of a rapist.

The fact that the details of the sexual assault were not mentioned is inexcusable. It's incredible that you can publish an incident like that without the most salient concrete details, as if they were irrelevant. There wasn't even a sentence saying, "details regarding the alleged assault were not available." Whenever you want real coverage, you invariably have to wait for something like the 60 Minutes bit that airs months later to get any answers.

Messages In This Thread