rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Interview w/ Criminal Defense Lawyer: How to Handle Cops

Interview w/ Criminal Defense Lawyer: How to Handle Cops

I think I was a little harsh with the guy for sure, but his response was completely ignorant and inflammatory. It was SUCH bad info. I'll break his response down into why it is wrong.

Quote: (05-17-2012 04:52 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

"I wasn't really paying attention. I'm not going to b.s. you. I wasn't paying attention and probably was going over the limit."

This is an admission of guilt. Do not do this. You are only incriminating yourself and are then entitled to a ticket, whether the officer even had proof of you speeding or not. I have been pulled over and when I asked to see the officer's proof and he couldn't display it, OR, it was in contrast to what my radar detector said, he simply told me to slow down and drove off.

I don't care about getting a speeding ticket.

I do care about a cop stealing my money or planting drugs.

Cops will do both if you piss them off.

The only difference between a cop and a common criminal is the uniform, badge, and gun.

What the.. fuck??

This is an outrageous statement. It's paranoid and delusional.

When he asks to search the car, I'd say, "No offense but I'm one of those weird civil libertarians. I know you have a hard job and I'm not trying to be a pain, but I'd rather not."

Basically, I am trying to end the transaction while being as cool/ass kissing as possible.

This is wrong, this will not end the interaction it will only make him more suspicious and give him reason to keep questioning you. E.g. "You'd rather have me not? Why not? What do you have to hide. If you have nothing to hide you shouldn't have a problem letting me have a look around."

The proper statement to make here, put forth by thousands of sources on the web and in real life statements by lawyers AND officers is, "No I do not consent to any searches." This cuts the interaction short. Done. They know you know your rights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

There's a perfect example.

Messages In This Thread