rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Move to North Dakota

Move to North Dakota

Interesting videos above, those guys seem like decent fellas to work with, unlike some of the other unsavory characters you'll meet in the oil biz. The first guys really tells it like it is; don't go up there thinking you'll land a dream job in the first few days, be persistent and if you get one, work hard and stay focused.

Quote: (05-16-2012 01:35 PM)_DC_ Wrote:  

I watched the first video. I have to admire the dudes dedication. 100+ hours a week, JESUS. He didn't say what he was making but I'm guessing 100k-150k.

Looking at the hours, this really isn't that great of money.

That being said, if you've got a shit degree or no degree, and have nothing else to do but bitch. I could see myself doing this. I'm sure it would be soul crushing at first but you'd come out a better person (assuming you finally GTFO).

The 100 hour work weeks aren't so bad once you get used to it, I've been back to work for about a month now, just did 25 days straight of 13-16 hours per day (one day we did 19 hours) then I had 3 days off, just finished my first shift (15 hours) and will be up here for another 24 days, at least. This is by far the toughest job I've done in my 5 years at it, my body aches after every shift.

Sure it sucks being in a remote work camp with a bunch of other dudes and a lack of social life (I haven't been laid in a month and likely won't for another two!), but I also made enough money in that 25 days to pay my mortgage for a year or spend a few months in a foreign country. That's all I think about when I'm at work, I'm up there to make money so I can enjoy my time off.

Those guys are making good coin too, $2500 for an entry level rough neck is a great starting wage, I imagine the driller (top guy on the rig) is making 3 times that and the consultant (top guy on site) probably 4 or more. None of those jobs take a lot of education (maybe some 1-3 week courses) just a lot of hard work and drinking beer with the right people.

Also guys, you don't have to be working on the rig to be making good money up there. The site I'm currently on has a couple of rigs on it and I'm working on the pipeline part of it that will eventually carry the oil to a plant on-site where the product will be treated and diluted before its sent to an upgrader or refinery, lots of trades type work involved.

Even if you don't work directly in oil, the service industries are hiring a lot and being in a boom town full of oil workers, guys are willing to pay other people to do everyday things that they just don't have time to do, like laundry. I bet a guy could make a small fortune up in Williston if he drove there with high pressure washer and shop vac and hit up all the work camps and motels offering to clean, wash and detail guy's trucks for them, I know the guys who do that Fort Mac are doing well.

Messages In This Thread