rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!

I just moved back up to Fort Mac last week. I've lived here on and off since 1990, grew up here. The town has changed a lot of the years. Right now I travel in the winter and work in the summer. I got a job as soon as I walked into the union hall in Edmonton(millwright union). They need 85 guys right now for various shutdowns.
I'm on the 6 and 6 shift, starting nightshift tonight.
I've been off work since August, travelled through the states and central america, spent every penny I made last summer!

To those looking to come up here: Find a job first! Many people arrive and then struggle to get on at site because they haven't gone through the steps to join the union and wait for a call.

I hear the pipefitters union is taking in new applicants with no experience to get their numbers up. Pipefitting is 4 year trade and the work isn't that bad.

I would say that it's not worth it to move up here unless you are interested in pursuing a trade, or driving heavy equipment.
Also, the real estate game is pretty big up here, although I'm not sure if the market is in as much of a boom as it was 2 years ago.

If anyone has any questions about Fort mac in general I might be able to help.

And what scotian says about the money is true, its great!

Messages In This Thread