rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Repat Chronicles...(Gringo story of repatriating back to USA from South America)

Repat Chronicles...(Gringo story of repatriating back to USA from South America)

Quote:Quote:

I had the opposite feeling of some posters. I did not take it as a sob story. I think the author spelled out exactly why it makes sense for him to repatriate.

A) I am leaving Lima because I cannot afford it.
B) I am leaving Lima because I will have a paycheck in the US.

Do you see a difference between A and B, and how going with A and adopting its tone for the entire article is both misleading and an attempt to evoke sympathy? Case A is one of failure. In case B he is taking direct action to improve his life.

I actually am impressed that a man like him built himself up over the years in South America, from coming here with very little, making connections and hanging on this long...it's a tough way to etch out a living.....in my opinion he has lived an interesting life doing it on his terms.

I'm not impressed at all. There's nothing inherently impressive about getting on a plane to Lima, working odd jobs for several years, and then knocking up a Peruvian chick 3 times.

That's a sub-par performance compared to the RooshV Travel Forum contingent. I'm way more impressed by the dozens of guys I've met from here. Most of us do what we love and we find ways to make it work.

I imagine it would be very difficult to convince numerous banks to lend you up to 200K. As he said he also can not get a local loan as his business does not register as a local company.

Convince? You're not in a conference room negotiating a multi-million dollar financing deal with a conglomerate of banks. It's as simple as googling 'personal loans' and applying with lenders online. You can deal with as many lenders as you want. I guarantee you he could get 200k on better terms than any local lender would give him. There should be no speak of local (overseas) loans for Americans with medium-excellent credit.

It is also extremely difficult to get a job at the State Dept, or working at an elite private School that recruit teachers internationally.

'Extremely difficult' isn't an excuse for not pursuing a legitimate option.

Also comparing the cost of living for a single guy, and a family is way different. $2300-3,000 USD a month (your expenses) would be considered a very good paying salary in Colombia as Shimmy posted, high paying jobs are just not that plentifully in Colombia and I imagine in Peru.

I only disclosed my expenses so you guys could get a feel for the cost of living here. My spend could sustain a family of 5-7 in Lince. He could easily rent a 4-br house for under 1k in Lince. If he can't put together another 1k to put food on the table for his kids then he shouldn't be abroad, we agree.

If Lima is too expensive, why wouldn't he consider Arequipa (his wife's city)? Houses and private schools there are a fraction of the prices in the capital city.

Again I would love to hear from someone not in our demographic (single w/o kids) with a local wife and kids and how they have managed to make this all work while still living in Latin America.

I don't think such guys would have time or interest to post on a travel forum for single guys. Doesn't mean they're not out there. I know an older expat in Arequipa who is raising 2 wonderful kids in a comfortable environment while putting them through a local private school.

I just don't understand what is so unbelievable or 'tough' about doing something that millions of families are already doing without relative issue.

Messages In This Thread