rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Confidence Pill

The Confidence Pill

This gets into dangerous territory, but I had the same experience as the O.P., so I'll tell my story.

Several years ago I needed to take some pain pills for kidney stones. I've always been vehemently anti-drug, so I avoid meds whenever I can. But...kidney stones HURT LIKE HELL!!! So, I took the pills.

Bang!

All of a sudden, the world looked brighter, people seemed beautiful, and I felt an inner joy like I hadn't since college. Metaphorically speaking, it was like jumping into a swimming pool on a scorching hot summer's day or finding out the hottest girl in school has a crush on you. And like the O.P., I found myself flirting with women like when I was 19.

I had to take these pills for a while because the kidney stone was huge and took weeks to "pass" (don't ask). Luckily, I found out that I do not have a genetic disposition to get addicted to pain pills. I never felt the urge to take more pills and didn't even finish the prescription bottle.

BUT...

When I was ailing, someone brought me over a bunch of calzones from the local Italian restaurant. That's where my addiction came in. I didn't think about taking extra pills, but could not stop finding reasons to eat ALL the Italian food.

People who mess with opioids are playing with fire. They clearly change your way of thinking, feeling, seeing, and experiencing the world. But they're highly addictive to most people. I lucked out but not everyone is so lucky.

I don't think this has to do with willpower, either. Because when it comes to a lot of other things (see below), I have little willpower. It's just that pain pills exerted no pull on me either way. It was like dating a nice-looking woman who you know is pretty, but does nothing for you.

The irony of this story? When I found a townhome was for sale across from that Italian restaurant I moved across the street! I can walk there every day if I want. If my Italian-American genetics compel me to eat calzone and pasta a lot, then so be it. There are worse addictions.

Messages In This Thread