rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do people afford to pay the rent in LA and NY ($1800 for one-room apartment)?

How do people afford to pay the rent in LA and NY (00 for one-room apartment)?

I live close to the westside of Los Angeles, I pay nearly $1800 for a 1 bed, but I got lucky. The average place in my area costs around $400-$700 more. If you're willing to share, you can easily find a place $1200 or cheaper.

If you live in the valley, which is about 30 mins north of LA, then prices are substantially cheaper. I used to have a 2 bed in the valley and my rent was less than $1300. I know a guy who's renting in Reseda for $900/month.

Also, you make a lot more money in the US than Europe. If I moved to London and did the same job as I have in LA, my salary would halve. The only way my salary would match is if I did the same role in London investment bank.

Once you graduate fresh from an undergrad, you're looking at least around $50k/year. Grad school, at least $80K+/year. You can easily afford LA rent on these salaries if you're willing to share or willing to live a bit further out and commute in.

If you want to be next to the beach, then share in places like Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach. There are places less than 20 yards from the beach which are affordable. You can rent in the houses which are right behind beach front properties.

I've never shared in all the time I've been in LA and hopefully, I never will. I'd rather pay the extra $500/month for piece of mind.

Messages In This Thread