rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A French Foreign Legion Datasheet

A French Foreign Legion Datasheet

Quote: (02-04-2015 08:21 AM)zatara Wrote:  

I had a close friend join the FFL, and have heard plenty about his experiences. Essentially, if you're a middle class western European or American (as most on this forum are) then you'd be a fool to join. You'll receive better pay, better treatment, and better training by joining your own national army, if you want to be a solider.

If you join the FFL prepare for years spent being shouted in a language you don't understand, with intermittent beatings. Prepare to be regarded by the French government as marginally less expendable than the US government views PMCs - you'll shed your blood so a French solider doesn't have to. Prepare to be sent to the arse ends of the earth - my friend was stationed in Dijbouti. Prepare to be paid significantly less than if you were in a proper army, along with having no real long term career prospect. And prepare to be surrounded by the dregs of society, who were too stupid, too criminal, or too poor to have better life options.

Basically, unless you're desperate to get French citizenship (ie you're from somewhere in the 3rd world), you'll be far better off in your own national army.

What you said has always resonated with me. I can see why someone from an impoverished country may join or even someone with a questionable past, running from a criminal record. Outside of that the only reason I can see to join is to test your metal so to speak or for bragging rights and to have some good stories to tell. Otherwise like you said may as well join your own countries military, better pay, better benefits, and likely you'll come out with some type of marketable skill.

Messages In This Thread