rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting into photography - how to start, what to get?

Getting into photography - how to start, what to get?

First, I would just like to say that I have searched thoroughly this forum for similar threads. I feel that these threads didn't gave all the answers I wanted; most seem focused on professional photographers here and what equipment they currently use and how they are doing it, not beginner applicable advice. So I decided to start a new one. If moderators feel that this thread is unworthy of being standalone, feel free to move it one of the existing threads.

I have been planning for some time to get into photography. It's a huge DHV, there are opportunities around me to make a side money from it (and probably even Game) but basically I would like to just do it. The fact that I recently finished college and will have access to better paid jobs around me makes that plan much easier to achieve. That being said, I am first looking at affordability and beginner friendliness.

What I understand?
I understand the technical terms used and how the prices vary, but haven't really got much of an guide what camera to get first. Seems like the compact cameras are a no no, because I want full control while shooting photos, so DSLRs and mirrorless present themselves as choices.

What I want?
- affordable price
- beginner friendly
- as much control as possible while shooting photos
- age of camera doesn't matter (I will buy used older specific model if better than new model)
- good selection of lens (for future investments)
- that it comes with default lens; I am beginner and just one default lens (18-55?) will be enough for now instead of buying just one pricey body and getting equally expensive lens additionally

Some ideas
First, I will definitely buy it from ebay. I have been using it for some time and have very pleasant experiences, mostly because of fast (and free) shipping for such a big distances and because prices are much cheaper than in Croatia. Hardware is biggest example and cameras are not different in that regard. I think I saw price differences of at least hundred dollars for some cheaper ones and thousand dollars for some expensive pro models.
Regarding recommendations, some people suggested to me to buy Nikon D3200. I heard also about Canon 1300d. Apart from that I couldn't get much more advice here. Today I saw a pretty old camera on blog of one guy I follow. It is a Olympus E-PL1, camera which I see on ebay seems pretty affordable and he says that it makes excellent photos when coupled with Minolta lenses. But I am getting ahead of myself now.

Price range
I am willing to spend up to 600$ for both camera and its default lens. Over that is too much currently.

All things considered, am I asking for too much or not? Thank you guys in advance.

Messages In This Thread