rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to get a job as a python (or any other language) developer

How to get a job as a python (or any other language) developer

Quote: (02-25-2018 12:45 PM)Kentemo Wrote:  

I know this is a bit of an impossible question, but which would be the best one to learn: Python or Ruby?
(concerning that it will be my first language, I can spend 4+ hours a day, and that I want to find a remote job with it),

Are there more Ruby jobs than Python?

Python is used everywhere. Ruby on the other hand is a pretty niche language - it's not used much outside of web development. So naturally there will be more Python jobs than Ruby jobs. Ruby is also declining in popularity (more and more bootcamps for example are dropping it for JavaScript and Node.js instead), but that doesn't mean there aren't any jobs for Rails developers. Rails as a framework has stood the test of time so I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. People have been pronouncing the death of Rails since Node was first introduced and it's still strong as ever.

I wouldn't get hung up on which one to learn. Once you learn the fundamentals of programming, learning any programming language (and its frameworks) becomes easy. A Rails developer could probably learn Django in a week and vice versa.

However, if I were to choose one to start with, I'd probably go with JavaScript. I'm a bit biased since it's my favorite language but it has obvious advantages of the other two: 1) you can use it on both the backend and frontend, 2) you can use it to make mobile apps via frameworks like React Native, 3) you have to learn it anyways to write client-side code, so why not learn it first?

Messages In This Thread