rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Black Panther: The Alt Right Comic Book Hero?

Black Panther: The Alt Right Comic Book Hero?

Quote: (02-20-2018 02:48 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

An honest opinion from anyone in the MSM on the film would look like this:

"I refuse to write a review on a movie as highly politicised as this, because even if it were honestly good then a review which said as such would still appear to be pandering, while even if the film were trash, a honest but negative review would end my career. I look forward to the day when movies can just be movies, but until the act of reviewing certain movies can be disentangled with politics then it's a pointless gesture at best and and a dangerous mistake at worst."

Really only over the last year or so, maybe around the time Wonder Woman came out, have I realized how much chatter about movies and TV has become THE nexus of political discourse in America.

That by itself doesn't bother me, as film and TV should make you think about the human condition. What bothers me is people now no longer consume entertainment the way they should. They are watching with a little notepad and taking notes on whether it ticks every SJW checkbox and doesn't trip over any SJW triggers.

Then you add to that the PC tone-police online who will brand you a racist/sexist if you don't like certain SJW-approved films like the female Ghostbusters.

So fandom has turned into a sort of identity-politics form of tribal affiliation.

This tears away at the notion that people are entitled to have individual preferences/taste. Now if you don't fall in line and proclaim your love for films that tick the SJW boxes you are opening yourself up to mass social shaming. I think how this plays out is this sliding scale on the part of reviewers. Even reviewers who don't have a particularly strong SJW axe to grind are going to play softball on films that are SJW darlings like this one because they know it's the path of least resistance. This, of course, becomes a self-reinforcing feedback loop. SJW-infused movies and TV begats more SJW-infused movies and TV and nobody has the guts to say it's going too far.

Messages In This Thread