rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Have you ever found yourself broke while travelling abroad? How do you stay afloat?

Have you ever found yourself broke while travelling abroad? How do you stay afloat?

Resourcefulness and stupidity. If my options are out then my first course of action would be the church.

Repost:

I decided to cycle from Serbia to Croatia for an hour. All I took with me was the bike with rear bike light, passport 5,500 dinars ($55) and a phone with 40% battery life. The typically aggressive Serbian border guard let me through, but on the other side I was interrogated for 90 minutes by the placid Croatian boarder guards as my passport had a problem which meant it was invalid. They told me I had to go back to Serbia, but on trying to go back to Serbia, they also spotted the passport problem and would not let me go back. The Croats said I could stay in Croatia and one of the guards let me hotspot his phone to get on to AirBnB. My tourist SIM had expired a few hours earlier. There was actually a place in the village, but being Scrooge incarnate I decided to save $20 and book a place what I thought would be at most 90 minutes cycle away. Five hours later I arrive at my destination at about midnight, three hours of which were in the pouring rain and with three stops by the Croatian police. Having not eaten since breakfast I took some apples from the side of the road. It's also pretty difficult riding with car lights beaming in your face all night. Once I realised how far I had to travel, I tried to book into a hotel, but turns out dinars are not popular in Croatia.

On arriving at the AirBnB, I was confronted by an angry middle-aged Croatian matriarch, who switched to mothering mode when I told her why I was so late. However, I wasn't able to get to sleep that night and after a large breakfast I biked back all the way to the Serbian border, a round trip of 180km with no sleep in 30 hours, in the pouring rain. I had about 5% battery left on arrival at another AirBnB and luckily they were prepared to swap my dinars for kuna, which I used to go to Zagreb with, booked into another AirBnB and used my encrypted bank details which I had stored on my phone to take out 200 EUR worth of kuna from Western Union. I used this to get an EU-free emergency passport.

My plan B was making a raft from my bike and trying to make it across the Danube.

For extra precaution I think it's best to go with:

USD/EUR in cash
Multiple cards
Phone with encrypted banking details
Ideally same details on a waterproofed SD card embedded in your shoe

[Image: bourne.jpg]

Messages In This Thread