rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Madcow 5x5

Madcow 5x5

Quote: (09-23-2017 04:20 PM)not_dead_yet Wrote:  

I'm on Madcow right now and loving it. I started with StrongLifts but couldn't make any more progress after I hit intermediate levels. Ask me anything.

How many calories are you trying to eat on lifting days? I remember when I used to struggle to eat 2,000 calories a day. I actually threw up one night from all the food. Lol.

Now I'm on intermittent fasting and easily jamming 2,500 calories into 8 hours of eating: oatmeal w/milk + protein powder before lifting, protein shake after lifting, and a pound of ground beef with two low-cal hamburger buns for dinner and 2d dinner.

I believe in avoiding refined carbs, but I also think low carb/keto retards my muscle development. I'll do a low carb/no carb day sometimes on a recovery day if I'm feeling a little sore.

How much did your lifts improve from Madcow as opposed to SL?

And I don't count calories but I try to eat as much as I possibly can on lifting days, usually to the point of nausea. I have been interested in intermittent fasting and keto diets for a long time but it definitely is not optimal for gaining strength if you are struggling to put on weight.

Quote: (09-23-2017 04:51 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

Your goal is a lot different than that. If your goal is to increase your lifts, you have to eat.

You could be under-eating based on your numbers, and at your height and weight, I would guess you look really lean. This is where your goals come into play. Whats your number one goal? Get bigger and stronger? Just get slightly stronger? Do you like your body size, or want to grow it with muscle? This is where you have to answer that first before you decide. But most people would probably kill for your leanness now, and frankly most men want that look.

My BF% is probably like 18%, so I'm not super lean or anything. I definitely want to prioritize getting stronger first and then lose the fat once I meet strength goals.

Quote:Quote:

I would start with making sure you are getting enough protein. You should try to get at least 200grams of protein per day. Start with two scoops of Casein at night before bed. Maybe throw in a few scoops of whey during the day.

Since you are good about tracking your food, during this program I think you should try upping your carbs at least to your bodyweight per day(180gr/day), or 150 if you want to try baby steps. Supplementation is the easiest way to do this, if you dont want to pig out. I like the powder After Burner, for post workout, which combines carbs, protein, bcaa, amino's, etc, in one drink. It will probably bump your carbs up to these levels.

100grams of Protein a day for a guy your size is really fat loss levels. And when you lose fat, you also lose muscle, there is no way of getting around that, despite any product/youtube video. Try upping your carbs and supplementing.

I'll definitely be upping my carb intake because trying to rely on fat for fuel is damn hard. I try to eat some fruit as a preworkout but that's not always enough. Carbs high in soluble fiber like nuts or oats seem to be the best fuel. the problem is that eating a lot of carbs makes it harder to eat enough protein so maybe I'll have to supplement one or the other. Maybe both but idk it seems expensive.

And you can lose fat while preserving muscle. It requires a very strict diet though. Check this article out if you're interested, it explains this well and is well cited.
https://ketogenic.com/performance/will-l...enic-diet/

Messages In This Thread