rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

2017 Hurricane Irma
017 Hurricane Irma
Quote: (09-06-2017 08:54 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

I am filling up my car late tonight and Fridays forecast will determine my plan, if it is still projected category 4 or higher I am going to Atlanta Friday night.

I've lived in Florida my entire life and I would leave earlier if I were you. I'm on the West Coast, so a lot of the initial concern is metering out, but you're going to be at best on the close leeward side of a major hurricane within the radius of sustained 100-120mph winds.

If you're going to evacuate, leave Friday midday at the latest. Most of us assholes still have to work and that's going to involve securing facilities, closing down offices, backing up computer, securing documents, etc. and Friday rush-hour traffic is going to be amplified by several magnitude.

I would not take I-95; every single person is going to be heading north on 95 and you'll be gridlocked. I wouldn't even take the Turnpike for similar reasons, especially because they suspended tolls. Instead, take I-75 west across Alligator Alley to Naples, then north. I don't know what you're driving, but if you have something with sufficient range and you feel comfortable, also consider 27 to 80 to I-75 or 27 all the way north to Winter Haven if you want to take a shot with more limited refueling opportunities both in frequency and availability.

This is the 'long' way, but you still have sufficient time even with increased northbound traffic to take a break in the Tampa Bay area and head further north if you so choose, but at least you're doing it with less traffic and less chance of being gridlocked while Irma starts pounding the coast.

Best of luck and be safe regardless of what you choose to do!

Messages In This Thread