rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Africa: Hidden Gem or Lost Cause?

Africa: Hidden Gem or Lost Cause?

Quote: (08-23-2017 08:38 AM)Selembao Wrote:  

Indeed I speak French and knowing this language is almost a must if you visit the former French colonies.

Differences between west and east:

Getting there
For Western Africa (WA), the majority of countries require a visa which can cost 100€ at some embassies. There are some exceptions (Senegal visa free, Ivory Coast e-visa, Togo 7 days visa on arrival, for example). Eastern Africa (EA) is way easier to get there, and most countries are visa free or visa upon arrival.

Language barrier
Not all people speak the official language in their country. For example in Senegal, the biggest ethnic group are the wolof at almost 50% of population. Other ethnic groups such as Peul speak wolof as a mother language as well since every local speaks it, then they speak their own language, then French as a third language. Few people speak English here. People frequently ask me if I speak wolof, followed with a "you should learn." Compare that with Uganda where 50 or even more tribes and languages exist, people must speak English in order to communicate.

Things to do and see
In EA, definitely nature and safaris. In WA, there is much less wildlife, and oftentimes nature not as good as in the east. In WA, 95% of interesting places (nightlife, infrastructure, shopping, non-conservative girls) are in cities at the seaside. Leaving the coastal area is not a smart move since landlocked countries such as Burkina Faso, Niger or Mali have almost nothing good to offer. While in EA, landlocked countries such as Ethiopia or Uganda are better for visitors and have better security.

Girls
EA is definitely easier, hands down. But the girls in the Francophonie are more sophisticated and have better manners.

OP, is that the info you envisioned? I could write 10000 words on differences between west and east Africa. If you want to know more, please ask or PM me.

While I was living and working in Dublin, I got to know a number of guys from West Africa ranging from medical doctors, students and taxi drivers. All of them good upstanding, hard working individuals. I worked with a doctor from Cameroon from the English speaking north west. I also got to know a taxi driver from the French speaking part and the difference between them personality wise was very noticeable.

All the guys were selling their countries to me (Ghana, Guinea, Nigeria, Benin etc.), telling me that you must visit, to check it out and even giving me their relatives contact details where I could stay. All of them said that a white man would clean up there. They were quite open about it. If you go to countries like Ghana or Nigeria, be prepared to be called an 'Obroni' or 'Oyibo'. It's not a derogatory term or anything. The locals think that if you travel, you are loaded.

Messages In This Thread