rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

To Stay or Go (University Related)

To Stay or Go (University Related)

I don't know enough about the US but Europe is tough.

There's certain hubs (Brussels/Hague/any tier 1 city) or you go the academic route with universities.

I did IR, top 15% of class, top 5 UK politics university, acclaimed professors.

My peers who wanted to get to where they wanted to (cities above) all did a masters; I literally know of 0 people who are in the international affairs/think-tank scene who didn't follow this route. Some now work in marketing. One works as a bartender in Boston. A few work for corporates. 20% or so went into politics/IR scenes. Some went into military (most job safety).

A lot of demand for quant/coding (R/SPSS) with IR, cybersec is big. I think the EU has more potential for this. If you follow through with this and some international security studies/geopolitics/diplomacy background, you should be in demand.

Of course, international trade, development and terrorism also big. Keep in mind you will be behind the Europeans who will be ahead of the curve with EU law and various courses offered to them. This is also why mainland Europe dictates law moreso than the UK ever could; there's more students in Germany/Benelux/Switzerland/Italy studying these subjects than the UK (EU specific law/trade).

It also depends on what courses you are offered, where your aptitudes lie and of course, what you enjoy yet consider these points that any employer or organization with judge you on:

- How much do you know about the European way of doing things, politically, economically and culturally?

- Do you speak 1 of French or German? Any others?

- Are you open to post-graduate studies? You might need a masters unless you focus on some trade related courses and throw in some law. Quant (+ qual) statistics did me well as a course.

- Have you got decent internships down? Do internships as soon as possible then worry about where to get a job. Figure out what you like and prove you have work ethic, European job market is competitive and also scarce compared to the US.

- Have you got good networking skills? It's a small field and a good portion of what you pay for in university is access to your professors (network). Elite universities, elite networks. Good internships, foot in the door etc.

- Can you accept or ignore a SJW role in IR. This may or may not matter to you just yet but you need a thick skin and an ability to nod your head at people. I actually think Europe is better than the US than this but depends on country.

With economics, if you have a focus on finance, you are looking at London. Otherwise academia.

If you network or have connections, score some internships and are top 5% or so of your class, you will look at London and any medium-high/elite level financial investment/service/management firm if you have quant and other highly desired skills. Look into where the economic capital is shifting to now (post-Brexit)

I know guys who are currently doing this in London. You still need to do CFAs and whatever other 23948 courses they need to but this is what they did. One has moved to Switzerland now as he took the right steps.

+ network network network.

This is 3x important as you are moving to a new place. Much better to do this at home and come with a loaded CV. If you are moving to Europe, it's called a CV get used to it.

I'll let some other finance guys chime in here.

Academia is easier in Europe but as always you need to come with XP or do post-graduate studies there for an easier path.

@digimata, the guys who are killing it, that I know didn't go to any of the universities you mentioned.

LSE, Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham. If you land the right internships, show up at your fairs and network with the decision makers you can get in, assuming you look good on paper (study). Oxbridge is great for the network and 'circle' but employers also have pressure (and deals) to accept graduates from elsewhere and those universities are fucking great TBH. Also their people are more likable and less stiff.

I am sure H1N1 can chime in with some good data in this thread.

Messages In This Thread