rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Young Presidents Organization

Young Presidents Organization

Quote: (04-04-2017 04:07 PM)Jack_Smith Wrote:  

Quote: (04-04-2017 07:59 AM)BelyyTigr Wrote:  

I looked at YPO a few years ago, when I was looking for networking opportunities/entrepreneur peer groups ... It seems to be more geared for salarymen/directors at large organisations, rather than people who built their own company from scratch and still own it.

YPO is geared for FAST TRACKERS - corporate business executives who attain a high level of performance and responsibility at a young age. It is specifically NOT designed for entrepreneurs. Sister organization YEO is designed for entrepreneurs.

3)There are cut off points for joining. And at a particular age, you are booted out. Which seems a bit sad in a way.

Yes, BUT, while what you say is true and every YPOer I know laments aging out of their membership, the age cap keeps the organization young, vibrant, and true to its FAST TRACKER mission. How many 60 year old fast trackers do you know?

Also, IIRC YPO recently launched a sister organization to serve alumni.

4)On the other hand, its extremely prestigious. And has numerous "A listers" as members.
It could be a potential ticket to the big league.

^^THIS

Hmm, I follow what you're saying.
But here were my concerns.

1)Many entrepreneurs want to learn about the corporate/mature phase business world. And many established execs/CEOs want to learn about entrepreneurial situations. But YPO and EO are pretty separate entities it seems.

2)It seems YPO is presented as a "considerably more prestigious one". But the entry criteria can work in weird ways. For instance, someone who's a salaryman on a (fairly) modest income managing a load of commission only sales reps is allowed in. But the owner of a hedge fund who is worth, and earning far more (perhaps via tax efficient shell companies etc) can be excluded. OR the hedge funder would have to (harmfully!) rearrange his business to gain entry. It doesn't seem to make sense, in that way.

3)As for "fast trackers", well the question is, "who has got the big responsibility or shown high performance"?

The high achiever at his own hedge fund/prop house etc? Or the guy in a little subdivision of an S&P 500 who's guided by head office in everything in a considerably easier, far less remunerative and less demanding role (eg in what looks like a franchise)?

4)Likewise, I don't think it tends to be the young guns that are the most successful. Yes we all know about Zuckerberg, Dell and co. But most people are going into the mega-leagues in their late 40s, 50s, 60s or beyond. I know a few people who've got to 15m turnover very young, very quickly, but know their business will never go far beyond that. Conversely the guy who's turning over 400m often mightn't stand a chance of getting into YPO before the 40 yrs cut off age. Different business fields have different growth profiles and maxima.

Finally, aren't the 50+ guys the ones many CEOs are going to want to speak to most of all for advice?
Thats always what I've wanted to do personally.
OK so YPO want a particular vibe, thats fine. But the question remains. Fasttrack to what? The real megaleague or the next incremental promotion as a cog in the machine?

Its not meant as an attack on YPO. I know its got big, sometimes gigantic benefits for its members. But some of it seems a little arbitrary and even perculiar, atleast to my mindset.

Perhaps the related groups coming together sometimes might help in a way?

Messages In This Thread