rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Logistics For Philippines

Logistics For Philippines

Next Rooshvforum agenda for Enfant_Terrible the resident Filipino:
A post on some Filipino foods I love and grew up with (and how to get them) that none of you have mentioned so far in this forum. Look for it sometime in the Everything Else section within 2 weeks, I have a draft in the works.

Enough with this "Filipino foods are crap" crap.

Every other cultural food, especially American, has crap in them that you don't want in your bodies and produced under crap methods/systems.

You eat you die, you don't eat you die, trying out new/exotic foods is part of the fun of travel...and are you kidding me? Some of you are suggesting that Wizard eat American food in the Philippines!

On street foods:
Yes, there are no sanitation laws enforced with street foods in the Phils. You're taking the risk of eating food that has been around polluted air or surroundings or handled by people who didn't wash their hands. The street foods sold on wheeled carts are the biggest risk. The street foods on established places are safer. As long as you have your shots and medicine taken care of and saw the vendor cook your food and did a good job swatting the flies away, I say man up, take the risk, have fun with it, and get stories to tell your friends, grandkids, or the next chick you're day gaming.

Wizard:
Quick food list from me. You can find them in Filipino restaurants. If not, ask around. You can google some of these if you want more info.

Eat the following with hot, white rice:
Kare-kare (Karrehkarreh, say it fast in one word) peanut-based stew with ox tail, string beans, and tripe

Lechon Baboy (roasted pig on a bamboo rotisserie) - restaurants might give you a smaller pig or parts of it. Best found / eaten during a celebration or special event.

Lechon Manok - it's basically rotisserie chicken, but the Filipino twist is in the sweet bread sauce called "Mang Tomas" (that's popular brand name, roughly translated: Sir / Mr. Thomas). The "Mang Tomas" is also served with Lechon Baboy above. Sold in clean, outdoor areas or restaurants.

Sisig
I hear they serve them on the streets nowadays. Best when it's sizzlin' hot and washed down with ice-cold San Miguel Beer or if you prefer the harder stuff: Tanduay Rum

No need for rice:
Pancit Palabok / Malabon - savory flavored rice noodles with egg and other ingredients. The only difference between palabok and malabon are noodle thickness and region where they originated.

Dessert:
Turon a banana version of a Chinese egg roll

Halo-halo -- mix of shaved ice and other sweets.

Drink:
Taho (glottal stop at the "o") - best drank hot, sold from a man carrying 2 big metal cans roaming the streets at night yelling out "Tahooooo!" (this is one of the simple things I miss about the Philippines)

Don't eat Jollibee-branded traditional Filipino food if available, that's like eating taco from Taco Bell and saying you've tried authentic Mexican food. BTW, Jollibee is the Philippine McDonalds.

Messages In This Thread