rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Engineering Datasheet

Engineering Datasheet

Quote: (02-08-2017 01:33 PM)kamoz Wrote:  

Quote: (02-08-2017 01:45 AM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

Always cool to see fellow engineer, even though I haven't got my degree yet. I am studying mechanical engineering and for me that was something like a "dream work" since I was 14 years old or so.
I think it is important for all mechanical engineering students to have some kind of practice at the side because there is phenomena in Croatia where you will notice that there are students with very good grades, that handle advanced mathematics and theory like a easy thing, but in real life they haven't got a clue what a screwdriver looks like. I am exaggerating of course but I think you know what I mean.

That's not an exaggeration, it's literally true. We have the same thing in the states.

Really? Didn't know that. Of course it would be dumb to assume this phenomena is linked to only one country. You hear here all sorts of funny stories about engineering students embarrassing themselves in front of professors.
I got one for you.

You know that old classical lathes (non CNC) ones? Those have hollow chucks mounted on hollow shafts in order to allow machining of long pieces of cylindrical steel (basically rest sticks out on the other end).
Professor asked one student jokingly that when steel is being machined, obviously it is rotating around his axis, but what about the rest of steel that sticks out?
Student was so perplexed by this as he obviously didn't see lathe in real life.
Of course he failed exam LOL.

This is just one of many examples.

Messages In This Thread