rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Racism in Ukraine/FSU

Racism in Ukraine/FSU

Quote: (01-27-2012 11:46 PM)Athlone McGinnis Wrote:  

Well, there's another country I won't be visiting. Add that to the list alongside Russia and (I'm guessing, giving its broad similarity to the former) Belarus.
Lots of great women there, but not worth the hassle with so many friendlier countries on Earth.

Russia definitely belongs there. Nationalism is a major issue here, with strong sentiments against people from central asia and the caucuses (which is part of Russia). Even Siberian people are discriminated against. I saw a bouncer let in some mediocrely dressed dudes into a club and then right after turned down two attractive asian women.

At the same time, I've seen minority men do well here (Moscow) once they find their niche, like salsa dancing.

Living in Russia makes it clear that there are many countries far behind the US in terms of racial attitudes.

This article explains the situation here

“Where are you from?”

“I’m American, from the U.S.A.”

“Yeah, but where are you from?” Here they would wave their hands in front of their face as if to say, “Because you’re not white.”

“Well… most of my ancestors were from Africa.”

“So you’re African-American?” They would interrupt, struggling to comprehend.

They saw me as an American citizen, but not really. The inability to believe that a black man can truly be considered an American in today’s world illustrated the way they saw themselves in Russian society. They were Russian citizens, but not quite.

How would you guys recommend handling this as an american of south asian origin?

Messages In This Thread