rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Amazon Go - shopping without a human checkout process

Amazon Go - shopping without a human checkout process

Quote: (12-07-2016 09:56 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Quote: (12-07-2016 09:37 AM)greekgod Wrote:  

Makes next to no logical business sense. Grocers historically achieve 2% profit margins.

I understand Amazon is essentially the world's best logistical company but what could be their expected ROI?

Havent seen a piece of produce in any of their ads either. Telling.

I've also come to the conclusion that automated cars are to control the rationing of gasoline. There is no other incentive otherwise. Don't tell me that Google gives a shit about fatality rates from head on collisions.

Apart from the reduced staff bill, reduced infrastructure bill, the eradication of legacy issues, the redundancy of 3rd party retail analytics systems, and the reduced theft rates - other than that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

And the cost savings will get passed on to whom? The shareholder or the consumer?

And the additional data they gain will be sold to who?

And the barrier of entry for those on SNAP cards and Obama Phones will be paid by who?

I agree that it is reduces labor costs, toss up on infrastructure costs(IoT aint cheap, network to run such a smart store is going to be a headache), 3rd party analytics are good (competition within the BI realm), couldn't comment on legacy issues, and I don't give a shit about theft rates.

So where are we? Reduction in labor costs, further atomization of society, Seattle's gain is Waco's loss, more invasive data dragnets, less time in store, and zero indication if/how those cost savings are passed on to the consumer.

After all, when Bezos bought WaPo, he totally revolutionized the Journalism game, right?

Messages In This Thread