rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Building Your Suit Wardrobe (Guide)

Building Your Suit Wardrobe (Guide)

Quote: (09-16-2016 01:52 PM)Stickman Wrote:  

Suits, it isn't going against conventional wisdom to not wear the suit jacket by itself unless it is a blazer or sport coat?

Fuck conventional wisdom.

There aren't many environments where a full suit will be congruent, many where you can pull off separate jacket and pants.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of wearing a suit jacket by itself, then just buy blazers and sport coats.

Otherwise take my advice and buy suits that have a jacket that works well as a blazer and with the pants. You'll get the most bang for your buck this way.

Quote: (09-16-2016 09:02 PM)HonantheBarbarian Wrote:  

I got myself:

Charcoal pinstriped wool blazer to wear with jeans and boots

Pinstriped jackets usually don't go well with anything, but matching pants. If this jacket was designed and sold as a blazer, it might be an exception. It very much depends on how distinctive the pinstripes are.

2 white dress shirts
1x maroon dress shirt
1x grey check dress shirt

You're going to need more shirts. Suits are expensive, but shirts are much more affordable. Best to add variety by rounding out your button-down shirt collection, rather than spending more on jackets.

1 handful of Silk patterned pocket squares (about 10)

That's plenty for your purposes, but since pocket squares are comparatively cheaper than anything else you could buy for your wardrobe, don't be afraid to get more if you wear a suit or jacket often.

In addition I also have my custom fitted Charcoal Herringbone full suit I bought a few months back

How distinctive is this suit?

From your notes, you don't appear to own much that falls into the category of The Classic Four.

If you have 2-4 anonymous jackets that more or less go with anything without standing out distinctly, you'll be able to regularly wear jackets with different outfits without anyone knowing whether you own 4 jackets, 8 jackets or 12.

This is important to creating an impressive social persona over a period of time and avoiding appearing like a One Trick Pony.

Brown Flannel sport coat
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Brown corduroy sport coat
[Image: c6a0022f7e6050f966aa5e7b84c0cc9c.jpg]

Both of these are great looks, but you'll be limited in what you can pair them with.

People remember jackets like these, so if a person sees you three times and two of those times you are wearing the same jacket, you'll look like a guy who just rotates between two blazers. You don't want to be that guy.

I suggest that you start out with two of the follow choices and get the more distinctive jackets later.

Dark grey jacket (no pattern)
Charcoal grey jacket (no pattern)
Navy (or darker) blue jacket (no pattern)

I'm the King of Beijing!

Messages In This Thread