rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Realistic Foreign Movies

Realistic Foreign Movies

Quote: (07-12-2016 12:18 AM)911 Wrote:  

Truffaut's first film, "The 400 Blows", is very realistic, one of the best films ever made about childhood. It's largely autobiographical, harsh and real reflecting his difficult adolescence, without ever drifting into melodrama.

Considered as one of the 20 best films ever made, yet very real and accessible.

Godard on the other hand is fairly pretentious, though Breathless stands out with a great debut star performance by Jean-Paul Belmondo.

Hated "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and its gay theme.

Godard is more of a cinephile's director.

Nonetheless, interested folks should check out some of his more accessible works:

The Little Soldier
Band Of Outsiders
Contempt

I think the greatest Godard films are Vivre Sa Vie, Masculine Feminine, and Alphaville. But one has to work up to that vocabulary to get something out of them.

Some later stuff like First Name Carmen and In Praise Of Love are amazing... but almost unintelligible if you haven't fully bought in to the earlier stuff and have a very patient attention span.

I suggest newbs start with Band Of Outsiders.

As to Truffaut, 400 Blows is fantastic, but the absolute best stuff is Stolen Kisses, Two English Girls, and Day For Night. A shit ton of red pill stuff in the last two especially.

Then you can check out my man Rohmer...

Messages In This Thread