rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

IYI by Nassim Taleb

IYI by Nassim Taleb

Quote: (06-27-2016 08:26 PM)talvesh Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2016 07:59 PM)CatoRussell Wrote:  

Quote: (06-27-2016 06:52 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  

Quote:Nassim Taleb Wrote:

"Rather than get lessons, I watched and tried to imitate the workout of a trainer who moonlighted as security person and looked the part. The exercise got me into a naturalistic form of weightlifting, and one that is in accordance with the evidence-based literature. This consisted in short episodes in the gym in which I focused solely on my past maximum lift, the heaviest weight I could haul, sort of the high watermark; the workout consisted in trying to exceed it once or twice, rather than spending time on time-consuming repetitions. The rest of the time was spent resting and, splurging on mafia-sized steaks. I have been trying to push my limit for four years now; it is amazing to watch how something in my biology anticipates a higher level than the past maximum —until it reaches its ceiling. When I deadlift (i.e., mimic lifting a stone to waist level) using a bar with three hundred and twenty pounds, then rest, I can safely expect that I will build a certain amount of additional strength as my body predicts that the next time I may need to lift three hundred and twenty-five pounds."

It took him 4 years to deadlift 325lbs, which he only does once or twice and then calls it a day.

I guess it beats Insanity or swinging around an 8 lb kettlebell.

edit:

I would put his lifting program in the same category as "Intellectual yet Idiot".

I know he's not scared of books, so why has he never cracked open a lifting book? No, he hired a 60 year old bodyguard who does a few max reps on the deadlift once a week and "he's totally big, bro".

He also claims that machines are inferior to freeweights because they have a fixed path, whereas each rep with the freeweight is slightly different. Then he goes on to say you should deadlift (lol), which is definitely a movement you don't want to do differently each rep or you risk injury.

If he was actually "antifragile" with his weightlifting, he'd just do convict conditioning three or four days a week and shut up. There is nothing antifragile about deadlifting an adjustable barbell in an air conditioned public gym. Ross Enamait is antifragile because he doesn't even need equipment to get stronger.

I understand that his reasoning was that "it's the most bang for your buck" or that it's natural or some shit, but I'd argue otherwise.

The ancients of old didn't have adjustable barbells. They likely picked up the heaviest rock they could until they could lift it with relative ease for ten or fifteen reps, then moved on to the next rock. Then they'd grab a lighter rock and press it over head until their arms fall off, then go to a tree branch and do chins.

Agreed 100%. It's truly shocking the number of brilliant people who are utterly retarded when it comes to the gym. Aaron Clarey put out a video recently about his gym regimen and I was honestly appalled by the stupidity of it.

Everything works for beginner lifters. Compliance is a significantly more important predictor of success than rep scheme. An older man is doing compound lifts and can deadlift significantly more than his bodyweight. This thread reads like a sewing circle. His workout is fine and he's happy with his results. Good for him.

Talking about guys who've been working out for years here. Didn't mention anything about rep scheme either. More like idiots out there who spin their wheels "recomping" and spend 99% of their time squatting and deadlifting for a few reps at a time while being smug about it. Dumb shit that goes well beyond minutiae.

Messages In This Thread